PDA

View Full Version : HVAC DISCONNECT SWITCH. SEE PHOTOS

Gene South
02-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Two consecutive new construction homes in a row, both without a readily accessible and visible HVAC disconnect switch near the equipment (attic unit). See the two photos and you can see the yellow Romex AC line goes from the unit and routes overhead and then disappears downward into the insulation below. I followed every inch and no service disconnect switch in the attic. This is two new house in a row, but different towns and different builders. I don't think there has been a change requiring a service disconnect but I am just double checking since two houses in a row were like this. See the photos.

Eric Barker
02-17-2016, 06:05 PM
The absence of a power disconnect warrants a comment in my reports simply from the standpoint of a good practice. Therefore whether or not there's a requirement is irrelevant to me.

ROBERT YOUNG
02-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Two consecutive new construction homes in a row, both without a readily accessible and visible HVAC disconnect switch near the equipment (attic unit). .
Was the disconnect on or in the system? 440.14 allows the disconnect for an air handler to be on or within the air handler.

Gene South
02-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Was the disconnect on or in the system? 440.14 allows the disconnect for an air handler to be on or within the air handler.

Thanks guys, I agree with both of you and yes 440 is the guideline. There was no disconnect at the equipment, only a lockout on the panel. See the photo.

ROBERT YOUNG
02-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Looks like a leak, but from what?

Jerry Peck
02-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys, I agree with both of you and yes 440 is the guideline. There was no disconnect at the equipment, only a lockout on the panel. See the photo.

That lock out for the air handler unit is not permitted as the code requires the disconnect to in, on or within sight of (the 50 foot straight-line sight rule) "air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment", which includes air handlers.

And when the disconnect is in or on the equipment, it is not allowed to be on a panel removable for service or to block the nameplate labels.

Gene South
02-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks Jerry

David OKeefe
02-18-2016, 03:59 AM
I inspected a home last week with two condensers an air handler in the attic and a boiler in the basement and not one had a disconnect near the units. Of course the owner built it.

ROBERT YOUNG
02-18-2016, 05:02 AM
Jerry, as usual, your the King Mate!:first: