PDA

View Full Version : Low voltage light power

Jim Luttrall
03-28-2016, 06:14 PM
I need a little help. I found two low voltage power supplies inside walls plugged into an outlet which was covered by a plastic removable cover.
It has access but I can't believe this would be acceptable to the local AHJ.
Obviously the outlet can't be just hanging inside the wall, needs attachment to the structure. What else do you see as code violations? I can't see a transformer being ok in this location.

Jim Port
03-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Besides the box not secured to the structure, I doubt the LV cables are listed for in wall usage.

Bruce Hopewell
03-31-2016, 02:25 PM
looks like a rigged job. probably hooked up to an extension cord or similar in the attic

Mike Borchardt
04-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Besides the box not secured to the structure, I doubt the LV cables are listed for in wall usage.

Hi Jim
Can you give an example of a LV cable that is not for in wall usage? I see telephone wire, intercom wire, Cat 5, speaker wire, LV lighting, and the list goes on. Thanks.

Jerry Peck
04-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Hi Jim
Can you give an example of a LV cable that is not for in wall usage? I see telephone wire, intercom wire, Cat 5, speaker wire, LV lighting, and the list goes on. Thanks.

Not Jim, but the cable which comes attached to those plug-in low voltage transformers, and those low voltage transformers themselves, are intended for use outside walls.

Mike Borchardt
04-01-2016, 05:51 PM
I doubt the LV cables are listed for in wall usage.

No mention of the transformers, but I agree they cannot be in the wall. I thought the LV cable was in reference to something other than the wire coming out of the transformer.
Thanks Jerry:)

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt the LV cables are listed for in wall usage.

No mention of the transformers, but I agree they cannot be in the wall. I thought the LV cable was in reference to something other than the wire coming out of the transformer.
Thanks Jerry:)