PDA

View Full Version : Ridge vent in a mobile home

ren ramsey
06-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Please tell me ow the ridge vent is suppose to work in this double wide. Where the two sections of roof come together, there is no way for air to get out the ridge vent.http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m378/ramdino/IMG_8853.jpg (http://s333.photobucket.com/user/ramdino/media/IMG_8853.jpg.html)

Roy Lewis
06-04-2016, 07:17 AM
It will not!

Steve Payson
06-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Obviously the sheathing needs to be cut back, just like on any other roof. Do you have an exterior photo?

Jerry Peck
06-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Obviously the sheathing needs to be cut back, just like on any other roof. Do you have an exterior photo?

Cutting back the sheathing may not be permitted on the roof of a manufactured home - one would need to check with the manufacturer to find out.

If not permitted, maybe they would permit 2x4 blocking spaced 1 inch off the ridge for the roof sheathing to be nailed to (but that would put the space 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" off the ridge.

ren ramsey
06-04-2016, 08:24 AM
Obviously the sheathing needs to be cut back, just like on any other roof. Do you have an exterior photo? Yes, it just shows a ridge vent.

Mark Reinmiller
06-04-2016, 08:45 AM
It is possible that the manufacture called for spaced blocking between the two ridge member and the installer do do follow the plans. Since the sheathing was glued the the ridge members I doubt that the manufacture would call for cutting back the sheathing (which would have to be a wide cut).

Is it possible that there is some other form of venting (gabled end or soffit). I'm not that familiar with the HUD code. It may have permitted soffit venting only.

Scott Patterson
06-04-2016, 06:46 PM
With some manufactured homes the marriage wall at the roof is covered with what looks like a ridge vent. This is kind of new design and from my understanding they are doing it to stop the common leaking problems along the marriage wall. I'm betting that is what you found..