PDA

View Full Version : Deck attached though siding...

Ken Britt
12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
When inspecting a house today, I came across a deck that was bolted through the siding into the house. So, you have the deck plate, siding, then the house. I think I'm going to write it up. What do you guys think?

Scott Patterson
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
When inspecting a house today, I came across a deck that was bolted through the siding into the house. So, you have the deck plate, siding, then the house. I think I'm going to write it up. What do you guys think?

It is hard to tell from the picture. But one thing is that it has no flashing between the deck and house.

As you are in GA, you should checkout the Gwenette County guidelines for decks. I'll try to post it later if you can not find it on Google.

This is a great guide for decks that is from the American Wood Council. They have several fee downloads.
American Wood Council Code Design for Code Acceptance Publications (http://www.awc.org/Codes/dcaindex.html#PostFramePubs)

This is the link to the file http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf

Billy Stephens
12-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Ken,

For your viewing enjoyment. :)

New Guides to Help Meet the Latest Code Requirements (http://www.strongtie.com/codeguides)

Ken Britt
12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys! I'll look at those links.

Ken Britt
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I can't find anything about connecting through the siding. Just much about flashing. Oh well, I guess I'll mention it because if the deck builders just bolted through the siding then the flashing may not be adequate or even there.

Billy Stephens
12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I can't find anything about connecting through the siding. Just much about flashing. Oh well, I guess I'll mention it because if the deck builders just bolted through the siding then the flashing may not be adequate or even there.

????

Deck Framing Connection Guide Page 7 Ledger Attachment

Ledger may not be installed over siding or stucco. It must be fastened directly to the rim joist or stud or through sheathing into an appropriate framing member.

Bob White
12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Since January 1, 2002, Georgia has specified in paragraph 502.2.1 (IRC 2000 with GA amendments) that deck
...shall be constructed in accordance with this code or Chapter 3 of the 1996 Forest Products society, "Wood Decks, Materials, Construction, and Finishing" maunal...

As of January 1 2007, The code went to the 2006 IRC with GA amendments --- attached.

You're gonna see lots and lots of decks attached like the one in the photo, bolted directly through the siding (usually hardboard), with too few bolts, and no flashing whatsoever. Write'm up.

Ken Britt
12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
OK. I'm writing it up. The deck was built a few years ago, but I'll mention it.
Thanks again!

Ken Britt
12-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I also need to refresh my page before posting again - sorry Billy!

Eric Barker
12-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Ken,

You missed something. Fasteners also have to get through the substrate before they hit the house framing. Is that a rotated board in the picture??

Jerry Peck
12-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Is that a rotated board in the picture??

Eric,

That looks to be lap siding with the ledger against two high points of two boards, leaving a space behind it due to the angle of the lap siding.

Darren Miller
12-06-2007, 04:21 AM
Coming soon....

I don't know how many people are aware of this, but a supplement to the IRC will be out shortly (if not already) concerning deck connections.

This will require exact location of bolts (2 inches in from edge, 2 inches from top & bottom staggered). It will also require that at least two locations, the deck joist must tie directly to the interior floor joists.

The problem is the diagram also shows the interior sub floor being nailed 6 inches on center of the (interior) joists that are connected to the deck joists. When adding a deck, how can this be accomplished?

Darren

Ken Britt
12-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Yes, the fasteners are going through the siding into the sheathing.

Jerry Peck
12-06-2007, 06:36 AM
When adding a deck, how can this be accomplished?

By making all added decks self-supporting and not tied to the structure?

Seems reasonable to me - if there is no practical way to secure the deck to the structure, make it self-supporting.

Scott Patterson
12-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Coming soon....

I don't know how many people are aware of this, but a supplement to the IRC will be out shortly (if not already) concerning deck connections.

This will require exact location of bolts (2 inches in from edge, 2 inches from top & bottom staggered). It will also require that at least two locations, the deck joist must tie directly to the interior floor joists.

The problem is the diagram also shows the interior sub floor being nailed 6 inches on center of the (interior) joists that are connected to the deck joists. When adding a deck, how can this be accomplished?

Darren

I think that this publication has all of the new IRC stuff about decks in it
http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf

Jerry Peck
12-06-2007, 05:29 PM
I think that this publication has all of the new IRC stuff about decks in it
http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf

Scott,

Great information in there, thanks.

Did you notice that, for free-standing decks, the deck footings must be at same elevation as existing house footing?

Now think 'house with basement' ... uh-huh ... way down there.

John Arnold
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Scott,

Great information in there, thanks.

Did you notice that, for free-standing decks, the deck footings must be at same elevation as existing house footing?

Now think 'house with basement' ... uh-huh ... way down there.
Wow. That seems a little over-kill, doncha think? Frost line isn't good enough?

John Arnold
12-06-2007, 06:33 PM
My copy of the 2006 IRC says, R403.1.4.1 Exceptions 3. Decks not supported by a dwelling need not be provided with footings that extend below the frost line. So they went from that to requiring a footing all the way down at the level of the house footing?

Darren Miller
12-06-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/codes/2007-08cycle/2007Supplement/IRC07S.pdf

Scroll down and start at page 38

Darren