PDA

View Full Version : Identify this object on the duct work

JIM MURPHY
08-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Would someone please identify this object on the duct work in the attic. This is a zone system and I believe this is part of the damper and is missing a part.

Thanks, Jim

ROBERT YOUNG
08-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Appears to be an automatic vent damper without the motor.
Likely in the open position.
EVR or HVR?

JIM MURPHY
08-04-2016, 03:05 PM
EVR or HVR?

Your advice as to how to report it?

- - - Updated - - -

EVR or HVR?

Jerry Peck
08-04-2016, 03:23 PM
It may just be a damper which was installed and adjusted to balance the duct work and air flow out as desired.

JIM MURPHY
08-04-2016, 03:29 PM
It may just be a damper which was installed and adjusted to balance the duct work and air flow out as desired.

So no comment in the report???

- - - Updated - - -

ROBERT YOUNG
08-04-2016, 03:32 PM
JIM, report it or document it in your report?

As far as I am concerned it is a vent component. I have seen one on a Air Exchanger in a commercial setting. Like yours, without a motor. If I am not mistaken, to which I am over 90% sure, you can buy a handle that mounts the cam arm to control the dampers position if the motor has not been installed.

JIM MURPHY
08-04-2016, 03:40 PM
JIM, report it or document it in your report?

As far as I am concerned it is a vent component. I have seen one on a Air Exchanger in a commercial setting. Like yours, without a motor. If I am not mistaken, to which I am over 90% sure, you can buy a handle that mounts the cam arm to control the dampers position if the motor has not been installed.

Thanks a bunch! You are right, I have seen these with handles!

ROBERT YOUNG
08-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Sorry for not answering your question.
It would be up to you and how you report, Jim.

When I inspect air exchangers, ERV or HRV, I take images of the label for model and serial numbers, I open the case when possible and inspect the venting and how it is attached to the flanges. If, when everything appears to be operating within normal perameters, no noises and I cannot open the case, I report appears to be operational at the time of the inspection. Limitations to follow of course.

Hope that helps.

ROBERT YOUNG
08-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Thanks a bunch! You are right, I have seen these with handles!
Jim, thank you for helping me feel at home here.

Jerry Peck
08-04-2016, 04:12 PM
If you know what it's purpose is, identify it in your report.

If you are not sure what it's purpose is, note in your report that a damper was located at (give location).

I wouldn't identify it as being automatic (it isn't) or that it should be automatic (might not supposed to be automatic), or even that a handle is missing (not necessarily missing as a contractor/technician would likely have a handle on their truck).

JIM MURPHY
08-04-2016, 06:14 PM
If you know what it's purpose is, identify it in your report.

If you are not sure what it's purpose is, note in your report that a damper was located at (give location).

I wouldn't identify it as being automatic (it isn't) or that it should be automatic (might not supposed to be automatic), or even that a handle is missing (not necessarily missing as a contractor/technician would likely have a handle on their truck).

Again, thanks to all!

Jim

Mark Reinmiller
08-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Was there a bypass duct in the system connecting the supply and return ductwork. If so, these would typically have a damper with a weighted arm on the end. I don't recognize that part, but it looks similar to a bypass damper.