PDA

View Full Version : Ventilaion Questions

Chris Stichter
08-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Sorry if this post shows up in another section on this forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

On a new construction inspection today: Laundry ventilation was provided by a fan in the adjacent bathroom (same room separated by a door) Assuming when the bathroom door is closed this defeats the purpose of laundry ventilation. Does this differ by AHJ? Is there a code reference for laundry ventilation requirements?

The other two bathrooms in the home do not have mechanical vents, windows only. Are powered exhaust vents required in bathrooms in a home built in 2015?

Also, kitchen exhaust vents to the interior (vent on microwave). Should it be vented to the exterior?

Thank you for your help.

-Chris

Jim Luttrall
08-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Sorry if this post shows up in another section on this forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

On a new construction inspection today: Laundry ventilation was provided by a fan in the adjacent bathroom (same room separated by a door) Assuming when the bathroom door is closed this defeats the purpose of laundry ventilation. Does this differ by AHJ? Is there a code reference for laundry ventilation requirements?

The other two bathrooms in the home do not have mechanical vents, windows only. Are powered exhaust vents required in bathrooms in a home built in 2015?

Also, kitchen exhaust vents to the interior (vent on microwave). Should it be vented to the exterior?

Thank you for your help.

-Chris
Unless the IRC changed when I was not looking, there is no requirement for laundry ventilation.
Mechanical ventilation is required in bathrooms.
Vent in toilet room won't meet requirement for separate bathroom if there is an intervening door and vice versa.

Gunnar Alquist
08-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Chris,

Ventilation used to be required in laundry rooms (at least it was in CA), but that went away a number of years ago. I cannot remember when, but am guessing a decade or more. Turns out ventilation wasn't really necessary in the laundry area.

Mechanical ventilation used to be required only in bathrooms that did not have an exterior window. Ventilation is now required in all bathrooms. You would need to find out when AZ started enforcing that. In CA, I believe that went into effect in 2014. Might be different in AZ.

Ian Page
08-13-2016, 10:47 PM
" Also, kitchen exhaust vents to the interior (vent on microwave). Should it be vented to the exterior? "

No, not necessarily. Microwaves designed as Built-ins, over the range, have an exhaust fan which can be removed and flipped during installation to vent to exterior routed ductwork. If the fan is left alone it just vents back into the kitchen. Venting to the exterior is optimal but not required.

Chris Stichter
08-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks for replies, guys. Always appreciate your experience and insight.

Glenn Duxbury
08-25-2016, 08:26 PM
Ventilation used in laundry rooms is always a good idea; just needs to be done right, as with all other rooms...