PDA

View Full Version : Earth contact homes - exposed foundation wall insulation above grade

Shane Pouch
12-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello to all,

I have a question about earth contact homes and the exterior foundation wall insulation that is allowed to break grade at the rear (uphill sides) of the house.

You can see it in the attached photo where it comes out of the ground and you can see where it goes up and behind the ratty vinyl siding materials.

Shouldn't this material be terminated below grade?

Thanks,

Brian Hoagland
12-06-2007, 07:52 PM
WOW! There is so much wrong here I don't even want to start. I'm done. What's behind the foam?

Shane Pouch
12-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Concrete.

Dan Bowers
12-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Even though the walls are typically concrete, the rafters, etc are often wood. The insulation as shown could give pests a bridge into the home.

EIFS used to do the same thing - run the foam down into the ground, but today the EIMA standards recommend a termite band (6' or so of no foam). I would make the same recommendation for this.

Peter Drougas
12-07-2007, 07:27 AM
It's a great way for termites to travel from below grade right up into the house, unseen. I warn my clients that any covering of the foundation that goes from grade, up to the siding/sheathing not only limits what I can see for the inspection but makes the house prone to WDO investation.