PDA

View Full Version : Hot tub conduit

Jeff Eastman
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM

Jerry Peck
04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
The code is a bit vague on your installation, but ... the part running across the floor needs to be protected from physical damage, and Sch 40 is *not* rated for protection from physical damage, only Sch 80 is.

So, Sch 40 could be run across the wall and turn down, then Sch 80 installed down and across the floor - with more than one one-hole strap.

dick whitfield
04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
The conduit is fine but the disconnect is too close to the tub...

Jerry Peck
04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Dick said: "The conduit is fine but the disconnect is too close to the tub..."

I disagree on the conduit, as I stated, but Dick is right (and I was to busy looking at the conduit to even see it) ... the disconnect IS too close to the tub.

Jerry Peck
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
While we are at it ...

I'm guessing that the drip edge is too within 12' and not bonded ... that the hose bibb is not bonded ... that the enclosure is not bonded (but relocate it at least 5 feet from the pool as it should be and it will not need bonding) ... that there are other metallic items greater than 4" in size which need to be bonded to the spa bond.

Envision a 12 foot high box placed over the spa, going out 5 feet in all directions from the water of the spa (or up against the house) in which all metallic items are required to be bonded to the spa bonding system.

dick whitfield
04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
WOW....sound like me and you saw the same episode of JAG...COOL!

Jerry Peck
04-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Jeff,

I does not let me edit my profile either, but I found that if you just type in your location and do not enter anything else, then click 'save' (or whatever the option was), that will work and show what you typed for 'location'.

Tim Moreira
04-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Jeff,

From the 03 IRC:

E4103.3 Disconnecting means.
An accessible disconnecting means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors for all utilization equipment, other than lighting, shall be provided and located within sight from all pools, spas, and hot tub equipment, and shall be located not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) from the inside walls of the pool, spa or hot tub.