PDA

View Full Version : Water heater PEX CPCV connection.

Gene South
09-13-2016, 10:15 AM
Water heater PEX CPCV connection.
Appears to be glued.

Jerry Peck
09-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Yes it does.

Question: Where is that going to/coming from? It goes up to what looks like a male hose thread adapter which has an elbow connector screwed onto it with a black pipe connected to it?

There are also combustible material being too close to the B-vent/draft hood too - that foam insulation is combustible and needs to be 6 inches from that draft hood.

Gene South
09-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Yes it does.

Question: Where is that going to/coming from? It goes up to what looks like a male hose thread adapter which has an elbow connector screwed onto it with a black pipe connected to it?

There are also combustible material being too close to the B-vent/draft hood too - that foam insulation is combustible and needs to be 6 inches from that draft hood.

It is a thermal expansion valve (made by WATTS).

Yes, I was aware of the combustion material (insulation).

I do not believe CPCV will bond with PEX in a pressure line. What do you think?

Jerry Peck
09-13-2016, 12:22 PM
It is a thermal expansion valve (made by WATTS).

What is the approved discharge drain line material for it?

I do not believe CPCV will bond with PEX in a pressure line. What do you think?

Nope - all materials are required to be assembled and connected with proper materials and fittings, which means there needs to be a proper fitting/adapter between the CPVC and the PEX.

Section P2906 Materials, Joints and Connections
(the see the following sections - too much to type)
- P2906.9 Plastic pipe joints
- P2906.9.1 Solvent cementing
- P2906.9.1.2 CPVC plastic pipe
- P2906.9.1.5 Cross-linked polyethylene plastic (PEX) and its two subsections Flared joints and Mechanical joints

Mark Reinmiller
09-13-2016, 12:48 PM
I am looking at this on my phone and cannot see it that well. ls that coming from the TPR valve? Regardless, it looks like a DIY mess.

ROBERT YOUNG
09-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Solvent-based glue will soften the PEX tubing and the joint will not hold.

Tom Rees
09-16-2016, 05:10 AM
There's no reason they couldn't have continued that small black line all the way to the floor drain. Was there a floor drain? Here is the spec sheet for the BRV. By the way, I see these leaking a lot. They are designed to relieve pressure from thermal expansion but if you see it running constantly it is broken. I include this in my reports so the clients can monitor it.

http://media.wattswater.com/es-BRV.pdf