PDA

View Full Version : Questions about engineered lumber

Joshua Hardesty
12-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Can anybody point me to links that can inform me what kind of cutting and drilling can be done, and where it can be done, on engineered lumber?

Rick Hurst
12-08-2007, 09:39 AM
You might google Georgia-Pacific.

They have a web site I've been to before that had all the specs and information you might need.

rick

Scott Patterson
12-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Can anybody point me to links that can inform me what kind of cutting and drilling can be done, and where it can be done, on engineered lumber?

This diagram might help,it is from the TJI site.

Joshua Hardesty
12-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Anybody know about wooden truss systems for flooring? I've always avoided touching them at all but the electricians in my area don't seem to have any hesitations drilling or notching through them.

Bruce Breedlove
12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Joshua,

Any open trusses that have been notched, drilled or otherwise modified should be reviewed by a structural engineer.

Billy Stephens
12-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Joshua,

How about a pdf. install guide? Trimming and Altering page 5.

This is for open.

You need I Beam?

Jerry Peck
12-10-2007, 07:19 AM
The Open Web type Billy posted were the trimmable type and are not metal plate connected.

There are also Open Web Metal Plate Connected floor trusses which, just like roof trusses, cannot be modified in any way without the truss engineer designing the modification (or repair after an unauthorized modification or damage/breakage).

Michael Thomas
12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Direct link for the Open Joist Field Installation Guide for anyone who wants to bookmark it is:

http://www.ufpi.com/literature/ojguide-74.pdf

Jerry Peck
12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Direct link for the Open Joist Field Installation Guide for anyone who wants to bookmark it is:

http://www.ufpi.com/literature/ojguide-74.pdf

For clarification: that is the trimmable type, not the metal plate connected type.