PDA

View Full Version : Flex appliance connector?

Dave Rose
09-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Would you categorize this as an FAC? If so, I thought the rules said you cannot run the FAC into any appliance "cabinet", which it does here.

Do you see any other issues with this?

Gunnar Alquist
09-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Can't do it.

G2422.1.2.3 (411.1.3.3) Prohibited locations
and penetrations. Connectors
shall not be concealed within, or
extended through, walls, floors, partitions, ceilings or
appliance housings

Scott Patterson
09-25-2016, 06:57 AM
It's wrong and I see it often..

Dave Rose
09-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Thank you. Does anyone know the logic of why? It helps me to understand better. Is it concerns about damage where the flex enters perhaps from vibration etc.?

Gunnar Alquist
09-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Thank you. Does anyone know the logic of why? It helps me to understand better. Is it concerns about damage where the flex enters perhaps from vibration etc.?

Dave,

Yes. Furnaces, in particular, will vibrate during blower operation. This could result in the thin metal connector being abraded/cut through where it is fed through the furnace cabinet.

I believe there is an allowance for flexible connectors through fireplaces though. I seem to recall a grommet needs to be there to provide protection. I cannot specifically recall the code section. Probably near 2422.1.2.3

Dave Rose
09-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Dave,

Yes. Furnaces, in particular, will vibrate during blower operation. This could result in the thin metal connector being abraded/cut through where it is fed through the furnace cabinet.

I believe there is an allowance for flexible connectors through fireplaces though. I seem to recall a grommet needs to be there to provide protection. I cannot specifically recall the code section. Probably near 2422.1.2.3thank you, that helps.

ROBERT YOUNG
10-01-2016, 10:59 AM
411.1.3.3 and IRC G 2422.1.2.3

Exception # 4 allows the listed appliance connector to enter the appliance to connect to the gas valve when protected by rubber grommet, plastic sleeve etc. to protect it from vibration from the motor.

Dan Hagman
10-02-2016, 03:17 PM
The flex connector is used on Lennox Pulse furnaces because of the vibration, hard piping to a Pulse is not allowed. There are to be vibration eliminators in the gas line the supply and return duct, and the intake and exhaust have mufflers to control the noise. The flex connector is allowed around here by local jurisdiction because the door comes off easy and there is a rubber grommet used. This is not an issue around here and the connection will not come loose, a gas dryer vibrates more than a furnace and a flex is used there all the time.