PDA

View Full Version : Weird patterns in garage floor

Rick Bunzel
12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
New home inspection garage concrete had cell like patterns with salt efflorescence on the surface. My guess is that the installer did not put plastic down before the pour but I want to run it by the Inspection New community before I report it.

Are these symptoms something the owner should be concerned about? I have inspected a lot of new construction and have never seen it this bad. What would I report?

Thanks
//Rick

Gunnar Alquist
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Rick,

Looks to me like the slab cured too fast, which resulted in the "crazed" pattern. I have seen this happen when the slab is in direct sunlight on a hot day.

Rick Hurst
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Rick,

This was not by chance a model home was it?

I've seen homes that had been models and the garage used for an office space while their selling the homes in the neighborhood.

Once they sell out the neighborhood, sometimes I've seen them go in and put a parge type coat over the garage floor to hide surface flaws from where partition office walls have been in the model home.

If not, the concrete mix looks like it might have cured out to quickly.

Rick H.

Rick Bunzel
12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Rick,

It was a spec home that took over a year to sell. Don't think the builder made much on it.....

//Rick

Bruce Breedlove
12-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Rick,

If the concrete cured rapidly in direct sunlight (as Gunnar mentioned) the surface concrete may be weakened. If some of the water in the surface of the concrete evaporates rather than fully hydrating the cement that part of the concrete may not have achieved full strength. Food for thought.

Jeff Euriech
12-10-2007, 07:41 PM
See following PDF on Crazing Concrete Surfaces:

http://www.prmconcrete.com/cip/CIP03p.pdf

Jeff Euriech
Peoria Arizona

Michael Thomas
12-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for posting that link.