PDA

View Full Version : Rusted flashing

JIM MURPHY
12-01-2016, 07:23 AM
Looked at this house for a potential buyer that is presently renting this house. As you can see from the pictures, the majority of flashing around this house is rusted to the point of crumbling. Obviously, it will have to be replaced which will be an ordeal but I am trying figure out why it happened. The house is only ten years old and is not on the water. Also, I need to present this in a way that the owner understands that it is a serious issue. So, how would you write this up?

Thanks for the help!

Jim

Roy Lewis
12-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Looks like water collection and not galvanized flashing

JIM MURPHY
12-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Looks like water collection and not galvanized flashing

Thanks for the reply but I am not sure I understand the response. Water collection?

Jerry Peck
12-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Jim,

You're near the ocean, right?

Copper is the recommended material for flashing in such environments. That's the 'why' it happened.

Also, the flashing should project to just beyond the outside edge of the wood trim then have a slightly turned down drip edge.

I would write it up as all galvanized flashing need replacement with proper flashings made of material which is resistant to the environment, such as copper.

That way you are guiding them what to use, without telling them to use a specific material - that is up to the contractor doing the work.

JIM MURPHY
12-01-2016, 08:30 AM
Jim,

You're near the ocean, right?

Copper is the recommended material for flashing in such environments. That's the 'why' it happened.

Also, the flashing should project to just beyond the outside edge of the wood trim then have a slightly turned down drip edge.

I would write it up as all galvanized flashing need replacement with proper flashings made of material which is resistant to the environment, such as copper.

That way you are guiding them what to use, without telling them to use a specific material - that is up to the contractor doing the work.

Thanks Jerry! As always, thanks for the response!

Jim

Dom D'Agostino
12-01-2016, 12:11 PM
And FYI, it's not that difficult to repair.
Dom.