PDA

View Full Version : Always get an second opinion.

Paul Hollup
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I was not just looking for conversation but you guys have given me a lot of information. This is the first message board I every been on, so now that I have an idea I will be glad to keep in the group.

The other night I had one of my realtors call me saying she had a client call her back from an inspection I did. She said her client could not get the heat to turn on and she had an heating company come in, the company told her she needed a new heating unit and it would cost $6500.00 (you know what I was thinking!). I told the realtor I would help her out ( this was 9:00pm). I have a friend who owns a heating company, he was headed to the mountains but would stop by and check it out. The moral of the story the system only needed a service. I put my adams apple back in. The client called me that night, thank me for helping her out and she would tell her friends about my services. I did not have a 100' tape or a clip board either.

imported_John Smith
12-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Paul, what kind of service was required to get the heater to turn on?

As almost everyone on this list will tell you, if you dont already have a blurb in your inspection agreement allowing you to take care of any potential claim against you prior to anyone else touching the problem, you should. Its too easy for someone to just start calling people out to fix things and then trying to stick you with the bill. Fortunately you were able to take care of it instead of having to go through the small claims court system.

Im glad it worked out for you and welcome to the list. We are all in this together.

Billy Stephens
12-11-2007, 07:22 PM
---I did not have a 100' tape or a clip board either.
Paul,

The Real Pro's carry the 250ft and one of those Aluminum( Bread Truck Driver) clip boards with the Secret Squirrel Compartment. ;)
From Buck A Ball :D

Paul Hollup
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I do have wording in my report about a service contract. I found out later that she though she had a home warranty but forgot to take up the offer by the realtor.

James Duffin
12-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Based on the age of the unit, 50 to 90% of the time I suggest that the buyer get the HVAC system serviced by a licensed HVAC contractor before closing. This is to uncover any hidden problems not visible during my visual inspection. If they are buying a home warranty my recommendation goes up to 100%.

I am sure I will get blasted for this but I am used to it by now! :cool:

Rick Hurst
12-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Paul,

Several years ago I had one of those calls wanting me to come on over and drop a check for the replacement of the "Non-working" furnace.

I said let me come over and take a look. This was 5 months after the inspection I had done.

As soon as I remove the panel cover, it was obvious as to what was going on and why it wouldn't start up.

The vinyl tubing to the pressure switch has came loose so the gas would not come on. There was a little deterioation on the end of the vinyl tube. I cut off the end and re-attached it. Turned on the unit, and magically it fired right up. Repair cost to me: Zip, Nada! According to the HVAC tech: $3400.

Client was happy. All they wanted was Heat.

rick