PDA

View Full Version : six throws to shut off power ?

George Eberle
02-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Hello group. I bought a new home 17 years ago and recently had a pre-inspection done.

The inspector said we do not have a main breaker. And the "six throws to shut off power" could not be determined.

Can you tell me by looking if this type has the six throws?3333833339

Gary Burnett
02-13-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm thinking I can do it in 5! Unless there is a submarine connected to that top outdoor breaker.
Looks like it says Sub Panel but we don't have those any longer....do we?
Outside is service and it looks like the top breaker turns off the indoor panel.

ROBERT YOUNG
02-13-2017, 05:25 PM
six throws to shut off power , Misnomer.
225.33 says that you cannot have more than six means of disconnet at the second structure.

(A) General. The service disconnecting means for each service permitted by 230.2, or for each set of service entrance conductors permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 1, 3, 4, or 5, shall consist of not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or a combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers, mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard.

This code rule is for the electric service only. It does not apply to sub-fed panels

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/electrical-systems-home-inspection-and-commercial-inspection/10599-can-someone-explain-6-swipes-hand-turning-off-panel.html

Mark Reinmiller
02-13-2017, 09:09 PM
It is hard to see the label, at least viewing on my phone. It appears that the panel was designed to have six 240 volt breakers. As it is now there are less than six. If too many 120 breakers are added you could exceed 6.

Garry Sorrells
02-14-2017, 03:53 PM
George,
The HI may be saying that since he did not remove the panel cover next to the meter he could not determine that the panel completely controlled all service. Else it would appear that the 5 shown would meet the requirements.

John Dirks Jr
02-14-2017, 08:24 PM
If the top breaker on the outdoor panel shuts off the indoor (sub) panel, its fine as is. Did the inspector pull either cover?

Jeff Zehnder
02-15-2017, 07:08 AM
In NC the primary panel must be able to be shut down with 6 hand moments or less. Based on the information provided you would need 5 so barring other issues it is ok. The other panel is the distributions panel

jack davenport
02-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Hello group. I bought a new home 17 years ago and recently had a pre-inspection done.

The inspector said we do not have a main breaker. And the "six throws to shut off power" could not be determined.

Can you tell me by looking if this type has the six throws?3333833339

I would suggest you get your money back ! If the "inspector" could not figure out this most basic item............................

Garry Sorrells
02-16-2017, 05:33 PM
I would suggest you get your money back ! If the "inspector" could not figure out this most basic item............................

Could it have been a Certified Professional ????