PDA

View Full Version : Inspection report writing

Zibby Swieca
12-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know of a course offered or book that exists to teach the proper writing, wording.
Sometimes I waste to much time trying to describe problem or issue find in home.

Jerry McCarthy
12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
"Inspection Basics 2.0" which can be found at the CREIA Online Store under CREIA Educational Materials for 29.95. Plenty of good stuff for not only beginners but many of our old salts, plus some worthy legal advice. California Real Estate Inspection Association - CREIA - Online Store (http://shop.creia.org/index.asp?PageAction=CONTACTUS)

Aaron Miller
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
You might also check into technical writing courses at your local university or community college.

Aaron

Richard Stanley
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Keep it simple. Write what you see. Including a picture when possible explains a lot and backs up what you are wrting. Did I say keep it simple? I'm guessing you are not an engineer and the people that hire you are probably not expecting one - they just want to know the condition of what they are buying. Are you licensed and practicing yet?

Scott Patterson
12-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know of a course offered or book that exists to teach the proper writing, wording.
Sometimes I waste to much time trying to describe problem or issue find in home.

It is not that hard. Just write in simple easy to understand terms. Write in the first person and in a conversations style. In other words, write like you are talking to someone. Richard said it very well; Keep it simple!

You don't need to fill the report with a bunch of verbiage that describes the attributes or what the procedures for repairing might entail. Just report what you see and what needs to be done. Example: The hall bathroom GFCI is not working properly, it did not trip when I tested it. You should have an electrician repair or replace it as needed. Simple as can be, yet it tells the location, what is wrong and what needs to be done.

Rick Hurst
12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
You might want to attend a TAREI meeting or seminar sometime. They usually hold a class on the subject of how to write reports.

Brian Murphy is a excellent person on the subject if you request of TAREI when he might be holding a class.

Great way to earn those CEU's also.

rick

Lewis Capaul
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Here are a couple, I can't vouch for the quality, only that they are being offered and others have seemed to appreciate Bonnie's, I haven't heard anything about ITA's.

Bonnie Trenga
The Inspector's Journal Forums (http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4662)

ITA
ITA Home Inspection Training Schools - Become a Home Inspector (http://www.home-inspect.com/courses/reportwriting.asp)

And then there's always this:

Amazon.com: The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition: Books: William Strunk Jr.,E.B. White,Roger Angell (http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Fourth-William-Strunk/dp/0205313426/ref=pd_sim_b_img_3)

Bruce Barker
12-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Following the ASHI Standards of Practice is a good way to serve your clients and stay out of trouble. Briefly describe what you see, explain why its a problem (if not self-evident), and recommend repair, monitoring, or evaluation by a qualified contractor.

You don't need to write War and Peace. Usually two or three brief sentences is sufficient.

Rick Hurst
12-14-2007, 06:36 PM
You don't need to write War and Peace. Usually two or three brief sentences is sufficient.

Would this work then?

1. The Inspector showed up.

2. The house should have been dozed years ago.

3. The inspector went home.

How was your day? That sums up mine.

rick

Jerry McCarthy
12-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Rules of Reporting; from Inspection Basics 2.0:
1. Locate – Where is it?
2. Identify – What is it?
3. Describe – What is its condition?
4. Explain – What does this mean?
5. Recommend – What should be done?

Tim Spargo
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Rules of Reporting; from Inspection Basics 2.0:
1. Locate – Where is it?
2. Identify – What is it?
3. Describe – What is its condition?
4. Explain – What does this mean?
5. Recommend – What should be done?

Very Nice!

Bob Elliott
11-18-2009, 12:42 PM

In Texas you must follow Trec.
Stick to SOP and go from there.

Some Report software like Home Inspector Pro offers a good TREC template, so get a free trial and learn from the template as a good start.

Bruce Ramsey
11-18-2009, 12:45 PM
North Carolina Licensing board has been pushing DDID for a number of years.

Describe: the defect and where it is located
Determine: what is wrong with it
Implication: What can happen if nothing is done
Direction: What should be done about it

Matt Fellman
11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
It scares me to look back at my old reports and see how much I wrote and how 'rambling' it was. Over the years I've learned you can say much more by writing less.

Like the others said... basically what?, where?, why it's a problem and what should be done about it. Often times it can be accomplished in one sentence.

Ex: The kitchen exhaust fan discharges in the attic and should be properly routed outside to prevent excessive moisture above the house.

Throw a picture and an arrow next to the comment and you're done.

Bob Elliott
11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
I go with FOG
Fact
Opinion
Guidance

learned that years ago in school and it has served me well.