PDA

View Full Version : 3 tab shingles gaps

Randall Clark
02-16-2017, 07:55 PM
This is new construction and they did not butt shingles against one another when installing, leaving gaps. Curious to know if this may cause a performance issue down the road.

Jeff Zehnder
02-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Poor quality workmanship and not installed to manufactures standards and specifications.

Jerry Peck
02-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Do you have a photo showing that the shingles are not butted to each other?

It may be a manufacturing issue and the shingles may actually be installed correctly.

John Kogel
02-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Dang right it is an issue. The gaps allow water to hit the upper side of the shingle below. With a gap that wide, a bit of wind will blow water up under the shingle. They also did not stagger the seams properly. When seams line up on 3-tab shingles, water gets in.

Example of crappy 3-Tab installation. This roof in the pics was 13 yrs old. The 3-Tabs were staggered by cutting either 1 or 2 tabs off, simple.
But, butt, when you do that, every gap at the end lines up with a slot below. Then next row, a slot will land on the gap.:(

Wet spots 5 rows down from the ridge. No underlay to protect the OSB. This whole installation was crap, a waste of money. Instructions are printed on every single package.:confused:

Trent Tarter
02-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Hard to tell with one poor photo, but that looks like a mess. Also it does not look like a standard 3-tab shingle.

ROBERT YOUNG
02-23-2017, 04:44 AM
This is new construction and they did not butt shingles against one another when installing, leaving gaps. Curious to know if this may cause a performance issue down the road.

Randal, you have any more pics?
1: In the photo, the tabs appears much wider, say double the width or more than a standard 36" inch 3 tab shingle and the reveal 1/3 of a standard 36" inch 3 tab shingle.
2: As well, the slope looks low slope, 4/12 to 2/12.

Back in the day I laid low slope shingles which those appear to be.
I thought they were prohibited? They are in my neck of the woods.
Anyone have any documentation?
As well, try to find a manufacturer.

In my report; Observation: Low slope shingles.
a. Not installed in accordance to the manufacturer's recommendations.
b. To our best knowledge they are prohibited.
The roof will under perform.

Recommendations. (a) Contact the installer.
(b) confer with an AHJ or municipal building inspector.

ROBERT YOUNG
02-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Two tab low pitch roof shingles.
Historically, North American low-sloped roofs were shingled with a triple coverage, 3 ply, or 1/3rd of the mat is revealed, (two-tab "low pitch" shingle product.)
Narrative: Theseshingles are not manufactured in North America today, so the industry has developed alternate procedures.
http://www.canroof.com/publication/applying-asphalt-shingles-on-low-slopes/wppa_open/

Hope that helps.

Garry Sorrells
02-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Look for Jet 25 shingles at local supply house.

Randall Clark
02-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't have an additional photos, sorry. I posted after I sent the report to the client but basically just stated this as a defect, potential for water entry, etc and for a roofing contractor to evaluate the entire roof and install/repair per mfg standards. I've seen this on junk that homeowners have done over the years but always wondered what problems would/could occur as time passed.