PDA

View Full Version : NEC Bonding Article

Gunnar Alquist
03-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Neutral and equipment ground can only be bonded together at the service equipment. I was trying to find the specific article. Right now, my brain is muddy and I am (for some reason) unable to decipher clearly. Is this the correct reference?

From 2017 NFPA 70 (NEC)

250.142 Use of Grounded Circuit Conductor for Grounding Equipment.
(B) Load-Side Equipment. Except as permitted in 250.30(A)(l) and 250.32(B) a grounded circuit conductor shall not be used for grounding non-current-carrying metal parts of equipment on the load side of the service disconnecting means or on the load side of a separately derived system disconnecting means or the overcurrent devices for a separately derived system not having a main disconnecting means.

Jerry Peck
03-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Yes.

"
... shall not be used for grounding non-current-carrying metal parts of equipment on the load side of ...
"

Gunnar Alquist
03-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Yes.

"
... shall not be used for grounding non-current-carrying metal parts of equipment on the load side of ...
"

Thanks Jerry,

I hope you are doing well.

jack davenport
03-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Is for using the grounded ( neutral) for the grounding ( ground) conductor on the load side of the service.This is what was done for years for 3 wire ranges and dryers.

My first thought when I read your post was 250.24. Which is the article explaining the 3 locations the grounding electrode conductor is permitted to be connected to the grounded service conductor ( neutral)

I am curious as to exactly what it is you are looking for ? An equipment ground ( branch circuit ground) or the grounding electrode conductor ( service)

Gunnar Alquist
03-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Is for using the grounded ( neutral) for the grounding ( ground) conductor on the load side of the service.This is what was done for years for 3 wire ranges and dryers.

My first thought when I read your post was 250.24. Which is the article explaining the 3 locations the grounding electrode conductor is permitted to be connected to the grounded service conductor ( neutral)

I am curious as to exactly what it is you are looking for ? An equipment ground ( branch circuit ground) or the grounding electrode conductor ( service)

Jack,

I was looking for where the grounded and grounding conductors are to be bonded together. Looks like 250.24 (A)(5) & (B) also covers that.

That is, if I am reading this correctly. Right now, I have a head cold. Might explain why I was having trouble yesterday.

ROBERT YOUNG
04-01-2017, 02:59 AM
Jack,

I was looking for where the grounded and grounding conductors are to be bonded together. Looks like 250.24 (A)(5) & (B) also covers that.

That is, if I am reading this correctly. Right now, I have a head cold. Might explain why I was having trouble yesterday.

In most cases, bonding / grounding takes place at the main service equipment panel.
Here is a PDF. Hope it helps. http://www.homeinspector.org/files/inspectionworldLasvegas/COURSES/Sessions/Handouts/Alquist.pdf
Get better soon.

Best.
Robert

Gunnar Alquist
04-01-2017, 01:09 PM
In most cases, bonding / grounding takes place at the main service equipment panel.
Here is a PDF. Hope it helps.

Har har. A comedian. Just what I needed. :cool:

ROBERT YOUNG
04-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Not making a funny, Gunner.
"So Sorry" if it seemed that way.:( Not intended.

As to your question, "I was looking for where the grounded and grounding conductors are to be bonded together." I took it literally.
I have, as well as many, have been known to come up empty at times, brain fart, blank, reclusing myself/themselves from what I, they know, knew, momentarily drawing a blank/s.
Not fun but it is what is is.

Hope you get well soon.

Gunnar Alquist
04-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Robert,

I found it funny because you sent me my own Grounding & Bonding presentation back to me.

ROBERT YOUNG
04-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I try to be thoughtful.

Jerry Peck
04-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Gunnar,

I think Robert is missing what you are saying.