PDA

View Full Version : What is HDPF?

Lawrence Thomas
04-27-2017, 09:40 PM
I saw this black pipe as the main water line into a 95 year old home today. I don't recognize it. It is labeled as HDPF and 200 PSI. It looks like the stuff that I use for irrigating my garden. I'm just not sure if it is ABS or PVC or what? Any Ideas?

Jack Feldmann
04-28-2017, 03:47 AM
With Google I only found HDPE (high density poly ethylene). Its possibly thats what this is and part of the E was worn off.

Lawrence Thomas
04-28-2017, 04:34 AM
Thanks Jack. I only found HDPE in an on-line search too. It must have been a bad day with the printer because it made several E's look like F's.

Gunnar Alquist
04-29-2017, 11:01 AM
I saw this black pipe as the main water line into a 95 year old home today. I don't recognize it. It is labeled as HDPF and 200 PSI. It looks like the stuff that I use for irrigating my garden. I'm just not sure if it is ABS or PVC or what? Any Ideas?

I looks like a misprint. I found this on the Centennial Plastics site:

Potable Water : Centennial Plastics, Inc. (http://www.centennialplastics.com/products/potable-water-applications/)

Jerry Peck
04-29-2017, 05:58 PM
I looked in the IRC and neither Table P2906.4 Water Service Pipe (only allowed for use of the water service pipe outside the foundation) or Table P290-6.5 Water Distribution Pipe (permitted for use inside and throughout the house) lists HDPE as being approved for either use.

I also looked at the ASTM number (as best I could read them) and did not see the ASTM number listed in either table - thus it appears that HDPE piping is not approved for use as water service pipe (which is what you described the use as), much less water distribution pipe (if any was used inside).

Lon Henderson
05-01-2017, 06:08 AM
I had to look it up, and found this at Charter Plastics.
D2239 is rated for down the well applications and underground installations.
However, it is not designed for in house use or for hot water applications.

Connections should be barbed fittings and clamps.

Instructions say that "New water mains and service lines should be disinfected according to AWWA C651."

Larry Morrison
05-04-2017, 08:18 AM
This is the spec sheet for this particular pipe (http://centennialplastics.com/assets/files/Specs/CenFloHDPE_4710_3608_CenFloMDPE_2708.pdf)