PDA

View Full Version : Stairway lights and hallway lights are tied.

Ben Im
06-06-2017, 09:45 PM
That's a new constructed 2 story duplex
upstairs hallway is long(appx.50ft) and stairs in the end of the hallway

The issue is the light(1) for stairs and hallway lights (3) are on/off together with 4-way s/w(1 is downstairs, 2 are at the both end of the hallway.

mostly, stairway light is controlled by 3-way s/w and another 3-way switches for the hallway should installed at the both end of the hallway, right?

But I want to know what is the good reason of hallway lights should not tied with stairway light.

Thank you for the any replies

Jim Port
06-07-2017, 03:40 AM
That is a design issue, not a code issue . I don't see what you think the problem is.

Jerry Peck
06-07-2017, 02:13 PM
But I want to know what is the good reason of hallway lights should not tied with stairway light.

I'm not sure there is a good reason to separate the stair lights from the hallway lights ... a reason, yes, but not a good reason - so the stair lights can be left on all night with the hallway lights being 'off'.

A good reason to have the lights all together is going down stairs, turning the lights off, then realizing that you now have to go back upstairs to turn the hallway lights off ...

It's a design choice.

Marc M
06-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Looks good from here...

Jerry Peck
06-08-2017, 04:57 AM
Looks good from here...

That's because all the lights were on. :D

david shapiro
06-08-2017, 06:29 AM
That's a new constructed 2 story duplex
upstairs hallway is long(appx.50ft) and stairs in the end of the hallway

The issue is the light(1) for stairs and hallway lights (3) are on/off together with 4-way s/w(1 is downstairs, 2 are at the both end of the hallway.

mostly, stairway light is controlled by 3-way s/w and another 3-way switches for the hallway should installed at the both end of the hallway, right?

Thank you for the any replies

This isn't what you asked for, but to round out the discussion . . .
The NEC requires switches at both the top and bottom of any significant stairs because without light, people can fall. The NEC normally doesn't require switches at both ends of a hallway because you can't add code requirements based solely on wanting to help people avoid exercise.

ROBERT YOUNG
06-08-2017, 11:18 AM
And has good eyesight as well.

Garry Sorrells
06-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Looks good from here...

Looks even better in the dark. :p