PDA

View Full Version : Garage air handlers

william siegel
12-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I know this has been dicussed before, but I did a search on it and cannot find anything on this subject, jut air handlers in the attic. Does an air handler in the garage need to have a pan underneath it and does it need a secondary drain line?

Rick Hurst
12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Its going to condensate like any other unit being in the attic, hall closet or in the garage, so a pan would be needed also. Yes, on the secondary drain line also.

Water leaking from the equipment could cause other damages to the structure too even being in the garage.

A float switch in the primary drain line would be more appropriate in my opinion.

rick

Eric Van De Ven
12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but I did a search on it and cannot find anything on this subject, jut air handlers in the attic. Does an air handler in the garage need to have a pan underneath it and does it need a secondary drain line?

Not to mention a smoke alarm.:)

Jerry Peck
12-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Does an air handler in the garage need to have a pan underneath it and does it need a secondary drain line?

Bill,

And just like in the attic (talking about 'new' homes here - say late 2005 and newer) have the same (ugh!) exceptions to those requirements.

Is there a cut off switch in the secondary or primary condensate lines?

And 26 gage duct or fire damper at the wall. (Also depending on year of construction.)

william siegel
12-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Jerry,

House built in 1995

"Is there a cut off switch in the secondary or primary condensate lines?"

Not that I could see.

Scott Patterson
12-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I thought a secondary pan was needed only if it was over a finished area of the home and the condensation could cause damage to the home if it leaked.

Rick Hurst
12-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Scott,

If it were to leak on the floor it could run back towards the drywall and therefore cause damages. I know most would think that the floor should be sloped to allow it to drain but most of the garages I encounter do not slope at the front part of the garage.

I've seen WH leak being in the garage and cause damages to the structure, so why not this same set up with this air handler?

rick

Jerry Peck
12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I thought a secondary pan was needed only if it was over a finished area of the home and the condensation could cause damage to the home if it leaked.

Scott,

From the 2006 IRC (which does not help Bill on his installation)

- M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.
- - M1411.3.1 Auxiliary and secondary drain systems. In addition to the requirements of Section M1411.3, a secondary drain or auxiliary drain pan shall be required for each cooling or evaporator coil where damage to any building components will occur as a result of overflow from the equipment drain pan or stoppage in the condensate drain piping. (remaining text of this section not posted as it was not applicable to this question)

Not withstanding, of course, all of the exceptions which allow NOT having an auxiliary pan under the air hander even in an attic.

Nonetheless, though, M1411.3.1 refers back to M1411.3, and M1411.3 states "Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.", and overflowing condensate is still "condensate" and is still not allowed to "cause a nuisance".

Scott Patterson
12-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Scott,

From the 2006 IRC (which does not help Bill on his installation)

- M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.
- - M1411.3.1 Auxiliary and secondary drain systems. In addition to the requirements of Section M1411.3, a secondary drain or auxiliary drain pan shall be required for each cooling or evaporator coil where damage to any building components will occur as a result of overflow from the equipment drain pan or stoppage in the condensate drain piping. (remaining text of this section not posted as it was not applicable to this question)

Not withstanding, of course, all of the exceptions which allow NOT having an auxiliary pan under the air hander even in an attic.

Nonetheless, though, M1411.3.1 refers back to M1411.3, and M1411.3 states "Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas where it would cause a nuisance.", and overflowing condensate is still "condensate" and is still not allowed to "cause a nuisance".

Okie Dokie! That is what I get for thinking!