PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve

Matt Fellman
12-19-2007, 06:40 PM
For some reason this just irritates me.... I'm sure 40 years ago when this was done it was common place to enter attic spaces by swinging in on a rope Tarzan style.... But now days we are stuck using ladders and I just can't seem to make mine miraculously move through a furnace.

It may not show up on the picture but this hatch was a good 10 feet off the ground too. Not exactly an easy access. I'm surprised at how many of these I find.

What do you guys do? I used to just do everything I could to get in, which was often pretty sketchy. The older I get the less I'm willing to gamble by hanging from rafters and standing on water heaters. This is just plain dumb... Would you get in here?

And yes, I called out all the problems with the furance, water heater and everything else in the picture.

John Arnold
12-19-2007, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=Matt Fellman;27875]...standing on water heaters. /QUOTE]
Yow. I never stood on a water heater.
If you can't get there without doing something stupid, then there's a problem. Don't do the stupid thing, but be sure to write up the stupid thing, is my advice. When on occasion I tell my clients that as a matter of policy I don't risk my life doing home inspections, they seem to understand.

Jim Luttrall
12-19-2007, 06:47 PM
If it is not safe, don't go.

Rick Hurst
12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
My pet peeve's:

Glassware in window sills.

Glassware on toilet tanks.

Ashtrays, Ashtrays, Ashtrays!

Nicotine stained walls

Numerous spices and trinkets on top of ranges. ( We have to check for anti-tip devices)

Cheap mini-blinds.

Toilets not flushed.

Those tubes left on the bathroom counter from tampons.

Dishes in the sink. (Some from last month)

Showerheads left in on position at tubs.

(1) of every item posted on Ebay in the attic space.

Litterboxes

Ceiling fan blades out of balance due to dust

"I Love you's" written with lipstick on bathroom mirrors.

Pergo flooring not finished out.

Doggie doolies in the yards.

What is yours?

imported_John Smith
12-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Child proof covers for electric receptacles. It seems like these add about 20 minutes to my inspection. I think Im going to start charging extra for removing them and putting them back.

Darren Miller
12-20-2007, 06:46 AM
[/B]

Maybe the lady of the house directed that to you Rick....you never know.

Darren

John Arnold
12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
I had one a while back where they scattered fake flower petals in the tub which I had to gather up before running the water. They had crap like this all over the house.

Rick Vernon
12-20-2007, 07:36 AM
All the above but on top is mini blinds!

Those @#$ cheap blinds fall apart, come down, break, etc etc. Oh yeah and my neighbor sells and installs them but we still get along.

Second is child proof covers on electrical and cabinet/drawers.

Rick

Michael Thomas
12-20-2007, 09:09 AM
I saw an ad a while back for an inexpensive tool to pop those child proof covers off, but I didn't bookmark it and now can't find it again - so I'm PEEVED... with myself!

Billy Stephens
12-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Maybe the lady of the house directed that to you Rick....you never know.

Darren
Utilities Locked & OFF!

Are All the utilities ON ? OH Yes, They are all on. :rolleyes:

Darren,

She could have been Eye Balling Rick.;)

Curt Raymond
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Dog dew in the yard? How about a foot of it in a foreclosure.

How about people who ignor a note stuck to a toilet telling them not to use the leaking toilet and they do anyway and you are in the basement/crawl space under it when they flush.:eek:

Electrical panels 4 feet away because of all the stuff stacked in front of them.

Biting dogs/ cats that were supposed to be locked up before the inspection. What? FiFi hasn't biten anyone since the postman incident.

Knick knacks on the windows are great. Not

Ok I vented, Thanks guys

Frank Bombardiere
01-05-2008, 07:59 PM
How about the nasty gunk that sometimes comes out of the jets on the jetted tub. I won't clean it up.

The overly friendly dog trying to make it with you when you are looking at the condensing unit.

People still in bed while I am trying to inspect the room. Time to get up pal.

Plumbing cabinets filled to the top with cleaning supplies that nobody seems to know how to use.

Furnace doors taped on with 30 year old aluminum tape.

Nasty floor mats in the tub.

Dad following me around talking the entire time.

15 people at the inspection.

Shingles overlapping the fascia two inches so that my ladder will really leave a nice indention.

Vines covering the entire house and half the roof.

Oven full of crap.

Wallpaper over the dead front.

Ok I have to stop, I am starting to hate my job.

Curt Raymond
01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Frank, your wrong about lawyers. They can be used as lab rats. People don't get attached to them and there are some things you can't even get a rat to do.
:D