PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Gizmo?

Michael Chambers
07-30-2017, 11:53 PM
One of these was low on the wall of some of the interior areas in today's inspection of a higher end condo. Does anyone know what it is? My clients are asking me, and I told them I didn't know, but that I had access to some of the best home inspection experts who would probably be able to tell me what it is. I was of course talking about the people on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help in identifying this thing for my clients.

ROBERT YOUNG
07-31-2017, 05:31 AM
High on ceilings or walls is typically/usually smoke/fire/co detectors.
Just guessing but, being positioned low on a wall might indicate an atmospheric sensor. IE: sniffer. Temperature/gas/vapor/oxygen sensor would be my best guess.

Refer to condo association/syndicate or building's maintenance personnel.

Michael Chambers
07-31-2017, 08:15 AM
The place had regular smoke detectors on the ceilings. We were speculating either part of the security system, or possibly some kind of pest deterrent device.

Gunnar Alquist
07-31-2017, 08:33 AM
One of these was low on the wall of some of the interior areas in today's inspection of a higher end condo. Does anyone know what it is? My clients are asking me, and I told them I didn't know, but that I had access to some of the best home inspection experts who would probably be able to tell me what it is. I was of course talking about the people on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help in identifying this thing for my clients.

Looks like a speaker for an alarm.

Michael Chambers
07-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Looks like a speaker for an alarm.

That is standard wall outlet size, although I guess it could be something like that. They're miniaturizing everything else.

Gary Burnett
07-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Could be a cover for speaker or coax wiring. Newer construction has a lot of pre-wired distribution cables to different rooms. I think I would have taken out my phillips screwdriver and removed the cover to see what was behind the plate.

Michael Chambers
07-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Could be a cover for speaker or coax wiring. Newer construction has a lot of pre-wired distribution cables to different rooms. I think I would have taken out my phillips screwdriver and removed the cover to see what was behind the plate.

Well, although I've been known to do just that, the one I took the photos of was located in a hallway, not where you'd normally want speaker or coax wiring.

jack davenport
07-31-2017, 04:06 PM
low to the floor -- hmmm

Stabbing in the dark here .................... ( pun intended)

low wattage night light ??