PDA

View Full Version : Black iron gas pipe through concrete

Dave Rose
08-23-2017, 10:02 AM
This is a black iron gas pipe in a garage. Meter is outside. Is there an issue with the concrete being in direct contact with the mortar? If so, is there a relatively easy fix or does the gas need to be shut off temporarily and the pipe removed to sleeve it?

If there is an issue, can you please include a code reference if one applies?

Gunnar Alquist
08-25-2017, 10:35 AM
This is a black iron gas pipe in a garage. Meter is outside. Is there an issue with the concrete being in direct contact with the mortar? If so, is there a relatively easy fix or does the gas need to be shut off temporarily and the pipe removed to sleeve it?

I see there has been no answer from the teeming masses. I do not recall any restriction based solely on the pipe penetrating through concrete, although a sleeve would be a good idea for a couple of reasons. I can see no evidence of excessive corrosion.

The only restriction that I recall is underground gas piping run through a foundation wall and/or a slab. Those are both covered in the UPC and IRC.

Jim Robinson
08-25-2017, 11:49 AM
That is the way I see it through stucco here on every house. I don't see a problem with it. Yes, under the slab is a big difference.

Dave Rose
08-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Thank to those who responded. Her local gas company "black tagged" her meter (not sure what that means) after seeing this...I did the inspection months ago.

Jim Luttrall
08-28-2017, 08:35 PM

If this is through a structural wall such as a concrete foundation, there should be a relieving arch or a sleeve (2 nominal sized larger, I think). Stucco and brick veneer are different.

Garry Sorrells
08-29-2017, 06:19 AM
Thank to those who responded. Her local gas company "black tagged" her meter (not sure what that means) after seeing this...I did the inspection months ago.

Red tag I know. Black tag please explain what it signifies.:confused: to

Galvanized pipe has been found upon due to possible flaking. Uncoated pipe in concrete does deteriat faster though it is all about moisture.

Gunnar Alquist
08-31-2017, 05:39 PM

Hey Dave,

Did you ever get an answer as to why it was "black-tagged" and what the heck that means?

Jim Luttrall
08-31-2017, 07:11 PM
This is what I was thinking of:
P2603.4 Pipes through foundation walls.
A pipe that passes through a foundation wall shall be provided with a relieving arch or a pipe sleeve shall be built into the foundation wall. The sleeve shall be two pipe sizes greater than the pipe passing through the wall.
(Borrowed from Jerry's post on another thread)

Gunnar Alquist
08-31-2017, 08:52 PM
This is what I was thinking of:
(Borrowed from Jerry's post on another thread)

Augh! You beat me to it!

Jerry Peck
09-01-2017, 01:26 PM
But ... but ... but ... that's not a "foundation wall". :)

Use one of the other references I posted for penetrations through exterior walls. :biggrin:

Gunnar Alquist
09-01-2017, 04:48 PM
But ... but ... but ... that's not a "foundation wall". :) Use one of the other references I posted for penetrations through exterior walls. :biggrin:

Wait, it's not? It sure looks like one. Is a stemwall different from a foundation wall?

Jerry Peck
09-01-2017, 05:21 PM
This is a black iron gas pipe in a garage. Meter is outside.

Wait, it's not? It sure looks like one. Is a stemwall different from a foundation wall?

That is going through a block wall, from outside to inside into a garage, the meter is outside the wall - at least that is what the original post said.

That wall is no different than a block wall at the rear porch with a gas line going through it, or from outside to inside to a fireplace, or into a kitchen, etc.

Richard Bushong
09-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Should have a sleeve with the annular space sealed to prevent weather and rodent intrusion. It is in the NFGC and in the FG section of the plumbing codes. A poly spit sleeve is the easiest fix and a little silicone caulk. Hardest part is chipping out the mortar of what looks like a nice job.