PDA

View Full Version : Are condensation pan and safety switch required by code in basement garage closet?

Mike Tao
08-30-2017, 12:26 PM
The contractor recommended to replace the condensation pan and safety switch which is not covered by home warranty in addition to condensation drain line repair. They are saying if they repair, they have to repair up to code. However, I do not recall there is code requirement if the air handler is placed in basement garage closet. Any comments?

Thanks

Roy Lewis
08-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Let them do it. It will save you in the future.

The contractor recommended to replace the condensation pan and safety switch which is not covered by home warranty in addition to condensation drain line repair. They are saying if they repair, they have to repair up to code. However, I do not recall there is code requirement if the air handler is placed in basement garage closet. Any comments?

Thanks

ROBERT YOUNG
08-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Thanks
Start with M 314.2.1 IRC.

As for warranty. Refer to your jurisdiction.

By the sounds of it, you have made recommendations, to which the contractor therein releases your liability. Have him/her put it in writing.

Markus Keller
09-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Such a typical issue. 'The contractor recommended'
Not a problem thats fine.
However, what you should be asking is WHY?
Is the pan rusted out with holes, too shallow, sloped bad, what? If the pan isn't rusted out why should you spend money to replace it?
Safety switches go bad, no big deal, not expensive, easy enough to do.
Replace the entire drain line, why? is it undersized, is it clogged and can't be cleaned out, is it sloped wrong?
Often contractor 'recommendations' on things like this are an 'up sell' to make a site visit more profitable or to fit with revenue projections.
If a contractor cannot give relevant answer to WHY, then its likely just an up sell