PDA

View Full Version : light bulb beats pvc

John Arnold
04-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't know whether to have more respect for incandescent light bulbs or less respect for pvc.

Bruce Breedlove
04-13-2007, 12:20 PM
That is a good example of poor coordination between the electical and plumbing subs. It is also a good example of poor workmanship of the electrician. How hard would it be to move the box for the light fixture?

Jim Luttrall
04-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Bruce, sometimes it is just one trade trying to be a hard case with the final product suffering.
I once found a brick chimney which was built around a sheet metal duct, insulation and all. Very apparent it was a case of seeing which contractor could be the biggest azz. The chimney was brought straight up from ceiling to roof and was corbeled over and around the duct which should have been moved.
Jim

Bruce Breedlove
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
The sad truth is there is rarely a team effort between subs in residential construction. The subs oftentimes work in isolation from other subs. When the plumber is installing his rough plumbing the framers are usually no longer on site so out comes the chain saw.

There seems to be more of a team effort on commercial projects, perhaps partially because the subs are on-site together (working on different floors or in different buildings maybe but on-site together all the same). On many commercial projects the superintendent will hold weekly meetings with the subs to address the schedule, conflicts, etc. During my time as an on-site Project Manager I found these meetings to be very useful in creating a team effort among the subs.

Without a team effort among subs on residential construction the burden falls on the builder or his superintendent to coordinate between the trades (a very difficult task).

Tim Moreira
04-13-2007, 11:00 PM
From the 03 IRC:

E3903.2 Luminaires near combustible material.
Luminaires shall be installed so that combustible material will not be subjected to temperatures in excess of 90°C (194°F).

I have seen in a hospital project where the mechanical guy was pizzed at the mechanical guy and vice versa. The mechanical guy came along and cut out the electrician's conduit and wires because it was in his way and ran his duct work there. The electrician came back and punched a hole in the duct work and ran his conduit through the duct. Silly but true. :rolleyes:

John Arnold
04-14-2007, 04:34 AM
The house where I took the photo was old (not that old, for Philadelphia) about 75, so it wasn't a case of subs screwing up each other's work. The plumber, or whoever, that ran the updated kitchen sink drain pipe right next to the light fixture was at fault. The light has probably been there for 50-60 years.

Terry Neyedli
04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't know whether to have more respect for incandescent light bulbs or less respect for pvc.

A fine example of "Red Nek" plumber's idea of an ultraviolet water purification system.
T.Neyedli
www.alphahomeinspections.ca

Mike Schulz
04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Commercial is not much different then residential. My brother in-law is a mechanical installer, tells me of sabotage all the time.