PDA

View Full Version : Steel Posts

Rick Hartmann
09-18-2017, 02:27 PM
I have only seen these a few times. Obviously damaged, but what is the correct term for these steel support 'posts'?http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachment.php?attachmentid=33678&stc=1

Jerry Peck
09-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Lally columns.

wayne soper
09-18-2017, 05:40 PM
they look like temporary screw jacks which are not allowed as permanent because they are hollow and rust out quickly. the other tripod type supports down there are no good either.

Gunnar Alquist
09-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Very common in my area. I don't know their actual name. Around here, they are called screw jacks, metal screw jacks or pipe jacks. Used in the 1970s in an attempt to allow adjustment of uneven floors in areas where expansive soils are found.

Ken Amelin
09-26-2017, 04:24 AM
they look like temporary screw jacks which are not allowed as permanent because they are hollow and rust out quickly. the other tripod type supports down there are no good either.

These columns are very common, used throughout the 60's into the late 70's. I am not aware of them being illegal because "they are hollow and rust out quickly". Today's steel columns are concrete filled to give them a better fire rating so they don't melt and collapse under high heat. They will still rust out.