PDA

View Full Version : Is bug screen acceptable for deck railing

Sam Morris
09-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Is anyone know if bug screen is acceptable in place of balusters (deck is more than 30" above grade) ?

Jerry Peck
09-20-2017, 12:40 PM
No, insect screening is not a suitable barrier infill panel.

Gunnar Alquist
09-21-2017, 11:32 AM
No, insect screening is not a suitable barrier infill panel.

I disagree. If you can get an engineer to sign-off on it, it's just fine. :rolleyes:

Jerry Peck
09-21-2017, 11:41 AM
I disagree. If you can get an engineer to sign-off on it, it's just fine. :rolleyes:

Still not fine - challenge the engineer (report him/her to the state) and they won't do it.

Now, if the engineer wants to use special high strength wire and tension it between suitable supports which will withstand the tension, and have it pass the load test of 50 pounds per square foot (which includes the air between the strands) ... then have the engineering reviewed by another engineer who agrees - so be it. That would work, but the engineer needs to 'work' at making it work.

At least in Florida, report the engineer.

Mike Pagozalski
11-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Still not fine - challenge the engineer (report him/her to the state) and they won't do it.

Now, if the engineer wants to use special high strength wire and tension it between suitable supports which will withstand the tension, and have it pass the load test of 50 pounds per square foot (which includes the air between the strands) ... then have the engineering reviewed by another engineer who agrees - so be it. That would work, but the engineer needs to 'work' at making it work.

At least in Florida, report the engineer.

lol, I can read what you are saying and I understand what you are saying but just for conversation sake, do you have or have seen any kind of detailed info for a product like this or similar? https://www.phifer.com/product/consumer-diy/petscreen-pet-resistant-screen/ .....I may have in a past life used it on the bottom panels of an elevated deck because I didn't want to lose any of the view (top panels were regular screen). I am sure, technically it was wrong, but I was pretty impressed with the strength of it and would think there has to be some product out there that would have the engineering to allow it for it to be used in such a way.

Jerry Peck
11-07-2017, 04:57 PM
lol, I can read what you are saying and I understand what you are saying but just for conversation sake, do you have or have seen any kind of detailed info for a product like this or similar? https://www.phifer.com/product/consumer-diy/petscreen-pet-resistant-screen/ .....I may have in a past life used it on the bottom panels of an elevated deck because I didn't want to lose any of the view (top panels were regular screen). I am sure, technically it was wrong, but I was pretty impressed with the strength of it and would think there has to be some product out there that would have the engineering to allow it for it to be used in such a way.

Not allowed.

Not only would the screen have to be rated and listed for withstanding the load for the infill panels, the frame would need to be rated and listed for the loads imposed on it, and the 'top rail' (intermediate rail) would need to be able to withstand a 200 pound load in any direction.