PDA

View Full Version : Texas smoke detector law - Fire

Jim Luttrall
12-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I just saw this, this is related to the smoke detector legislation recently enacted due to the Death of a state senator.

Senator's widow uninjured after another blaze
The Associated Press
Published December 31, 2007
SAN ANTONIO — The widow of state Sen. Frank Madla was uninjured Sunday in a house fire at the same location where a blaze claimed the lives of her husband, mother and granddaughter last year.
Helen Madla, her roommate Rose Alcaraz and her roommate's dog, a dachshund named Charlie, escaped unharmed, according to a report in the online edition of the San Antonio Express-News.
The fire, confined to a chimney, caused about $40,000 damage.
"I just can't believe it happened," said Helen Madla, the only survivor of the 2006 blaze.
Madla's husband, her mother Mary Cruz, 81, and her 5-year-old granddaughter Aleena, died in a fire at the same house after a Thanksgiving dinner. A candle lit for the holiday caused that fire.
Sunday's fire broke out around 8 a.m. in the chimney after Madla lit a fire in the fireplace.
After a while, she noticed smoke in the house. She and her roommate heard horns honking and neighbors yelling that the home was on fire.
The two ran out, but the dog went back in. Firefighters later rescued him from an upstairs bedroom.
A fire official said the fire was an accident.

Nolan Kienitz
12-31-2007, 07:13 AM
Hummm ?? Now what can I read into this article?

At the least it is one heckuva coincidence.

Jim Luttrall
12-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Nolan, nothing to read into it, just interesting, at least to me. I won't get started on the feel good legislation that resulted the first time around. I just hope the legislature does not get wind of it or they might outlaw fireplaces, dogs or grandmas. You never know about politicians.:eek:

Nolan Kienitz
12-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Jim,

I agree. I did not mean to infer anything negative about the post. My concern, as yours is, what could be next.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

Knowing the politico's and how things can be taken out of context or put on someone's agenda ... :eek:

Richard Rushing
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
What could be next.... BEDs!!

The next politician that dies in bed... we'll have some new bill introducted banning beds for folks over 90 ;)

imported_John Smith
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Why arent politicians required to carry errors & omissions insurance?
Because no insurance company would sell it to them.

Jim Luttrall
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Hmmm, that gives me an idea... can we sue the politicians for damages? Maybe a class action suit? Of course, they make the laws and as of yet, they have not outlawed stupidity.