PDA

View Full Version : Sideways Hose Bib with Vacuum Breaker

Michael Chambers
02-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Home owner installed this frost-proof hose bib sideways because it is too close to the landscaping gravel to attach a garden hose otherwise. Will the vacuum breaker still work as intended when laying sideways like this?

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

John Kogel
02-27-2018, 07:11 AM
No bites yet, so here goes.
We need the manufacturer to look up the cutaway of the casting. I suspect it will work to some extent, and that might be all it takes to break a vacuum.

What is the alternative? How about a short extension hose, pipe or elbow with the bib right side up?

Gary Burnett
02-27-2018, 11:57 AM
How about just lowering the soil to allow 4" of slab to be visible between the soil and first course of brick. Looks like the soil level is over the top of the foundation wall and sill plate which can allow water to enter and cause wood rot of plate & studs.
Something like ....... IRC 404.1.6: Height above finished grade.

BARRY ADAIR
02-27-2018, 05:59 PM
op install would be a deficiency in these parts
to blurry to determine whose fp vb bib that is
the blue tag in the handle may tell
all mfr instructions i've read "install w/nozzle down" "vb plumb" or similar & slight downward pitch for proper draining
woodlford & arrow are large suppliers to the bigbox

Michael Chambers
02-27-2018, 11:20 PM
Good answers all, and thanks! I've already discussed the problem with the landscaping covering the foundation seam. I imagine these all work on about the same principle, so I'll check those manufacturer's websites to confirm their installation instructions. Thanks again for everyone's input on this.

Jim Robinson
02-28-2018, 12:57 PM
I think the VB will work regardless of the orientation. It mainly works off of water pressure. However, the sideways install makes it hard to drain out for the proper freeze proof design. If they have an isolation valve to shut it off for the winter it wouldn't be a big deal. Moving the dirt would be my call if I was the owner.

Rick Cantrell
03-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Vacuum breaker not approve for that orientation.
Also should be 12" above grade.