04-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Tim Moreira
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Jeff,

Sorry, not much help.

Don't really know answer to # 1.

Here's what the 03 IRC says:

M1804.2.1 Through the roof.
Vents passing through a roof shall extend through flashing and terminate in accordance with the manufacturer's installation requirements.

I would guess that you would have to take into consideration any snow load if that a problem in your area?

BTW, how do you split your pictures like that?

Scott Patterson
04-14-2007, 05:38 AM
1. What is that venting? Storm collar are used at the transition point on a flue pipe from the cone to the pipe. It's only purpose is to keep the water from running down the flue pipe and into the home.

2. It is too low.

Jerry Peck
04-14-2007, 10:29 AM
2nd photo: Depends. What is it venting?

If just and 'exhaust' for air, then, no, it is not too low.

But, for most other things, yes, it would be too low.

Mike Schulz
04-14-2007, 12:38 PM
2nd photo doesn't matter what it is, water can flow right through the cap. Needs raised.
Least for a "B" vent is 1' on a 6-12 roof

Jerry Peck
04-14-2007, 01:32 PM
2nd photo doesn't matter what it is, water can flow right through the cap. Needs raised.
Least for a "B" vent is 1' on a 6-12 roof

Looks like the upper side is about 3"+ above the roof covering. I doubt water will run into that vent.

Mike Schulz
04-14-2007, 05:54 PM
You have a better eye then me Jerry. The bottom of that cap looks like it is about sitting on the roof, water will roll up into the louver.

Tim Moreira
04-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Jerry,

I gotta agree with Mike on that one. Looks like water would be able to penetrate the vent.

Looks a little low to me.

Now if that was just sewer gas and the mechanical vent was burnt out...;)

Mike Schulz
04-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Looks like the upper side is about 3"+ above the roof covering. I doubt water will run into that vent.

Holy jumping jo-hosa-phat! I am Right! :cool:

It was bound to happen Jerry! :rolleyes:

Bob Harper
04-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Whether B-vent or stink pipe, all need to be min. 12" above roof at uphill juncture.

Any gas vent should have a storm collar. Mfr. may have requirement for additional height above roof. Also, min. total system height?

Listed termination?

Jerry Peck
04-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Whether B-vent or stink pipe, all need to be min. 12" above roof at uphill juncture.

No, the "stink pipe" (plumbing vent) is only required to be 6" minimum above the roof, unless the AHJ has decreed a higher height for snow load.

There are no height requirements do for "stink" fan exhausts above the roof, of course, that termination cap (not sure whether or not it is 'exhaust' of something else), is not likely the correct termination for whatever it is used for.

Tim Moreira
04-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey, just out of curiosity, does it snow in Las Vegas?

May sound stupid, but I'm a native Floridian and have never traveled out West.

Is snow load an issue? Not just for this thread but in general.

Eric Barker
04-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Around here these are water tight - most of the time.

Bob Fuhrmann
07-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Here is one I did yesterday. A total of 6 vents, 4 of them were within 1/2" of the roof surface at the edge. There were two layers of asphalt. Wouldn't take too much snow in my area (Colorado) to do some damage here.