PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing vent termination

Jeff Eastman
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM

Phillip Stojanik
04-13-2007, 09:24 PM
A PVC cap on the lateral would be a reasonable solution at this point in my opinion.

The sweep of the "T" might encourage some moisture to accumulate in the horizontal portion of the pipe; but I would think that would not be a major issue in consideration of the fact that the vent in general is already going to be moisture laden and somewhat "stinky" if you will.

What's the big deal about a bit of stagnant water in a sewer vent environment anyway?

Other's will, no doubt, disagree.;)

Tim Moreira
04-13-2007, 10:01 PM
At least from the picture, the moisture and rain should dribble down the back side of the vent since it looks like the pipe is on a slant. Or is it the photo? :cool:

Jerry Peck
04-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Needs that fitting removed.

Least one day the owner awakens to a leak caused from the water which will collect in that terminated fitting.

Phillip Stojanik
04-14-2007, 10:28 AM
"Needs that fitting removed."

Admittedly, the best solution.

Mike Schulz
04-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Cut pipe, put straight coupling.

Jerry Peck
04-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Cut pipe, put straight coupling.

Make that two couplings and a short section of pipe.

If you cut that fitting out and install one coupling, the pipe will now be too short to properly penetrate through, and above, the roof.

Mike Schulz
04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I stand corrected again. Did not think it all the way through. But if that pipe is extended 2' above the roof it would be brought down to the proper height and only need one coupling. :D

Jerry Peck
04-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I stand corrected again. Did not think it all the way through. But if that pipe is extended 2' above the roof it would be brought down to the proper height and only need one coupling. :D

UNLESS ... that 2 feet height was required locally for snow load or for other reasons.

Ya never know ... :D

Tim Moreira
04-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe its the angle of the photo, but isn't that pipe on an angle going through the roof?

Shouldn't that penetrate the roof more or less level (up and down) reason being, the angle of that pipe going through the roof is a little odd for the lead boot that is going over it isn't it?

Pipe looks to me like it is following the angle of the roof instead of being straigh up and down.

Is this a problem?

Eric Barker
04-15-2007, 07:57 AM
For me, I'd leave the decision up to a licensed plumber.

Terry Scroggin
07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
I found this interesting item today. It is the house sewer vent for a septic system in a very small town. The house is over 100 years old and the drain system in the house works like a charm. The house only has 1 bathroom so I had all faucets on (including the tub) and then flushed expecting an overload. Suprise!!! No problem, even adding the kitchen drain.
I don't think it would pass any kind of a code, but how should it be written up?
My only beef with it is its location during the winter for snow buildup as it is only a few inches off the ground.
By the way, there aren't any openings within 10 feet in any direction and I didn't smell it at all during the inspection.

Mike Schulz
07-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Looks like a frsh air intake to me.........but what do I know, you saw it, how did you determine it was a sewer vent?

Terry Scroggin
07-17-2008, 05:59 PM
"Assumed" because there is no other vent on the roof or in the attic for the septic tank. It could be a fresh air inlet because the septic system is a new style aerated system, but I'm not a septic system expert. I just have one of those systems outside my dining room window. Maybe I will return and cover that vent then go inside and check the drains.

Jim Luttrall
07-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Just listen at the pipe while the drains are in use. It should be pretty easy to confirm this is the vent. Most of what a vent does is an air "inlet" but I don't know of a way to make this a one way vent:confused:

The aerobic systems use a pump, not an open vent.

If it is a old house, you are probably right assuming it is the main vent and it is wrong.
It may not provide much odor if there is a belly or fitting in the line creating a trap.