PDA

View Full Version : fire rated door?

Jim McClendon
01-05-2008, 08:28 AM
How can you tell the door is fire rated?

Scott Patterson
01-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Yes, it is not.

It has a window in it.

Jim McClendon
01-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Scott, I figured that, but is there a label or stamp on fireproof doors?

David Banks
01-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks Scott, I figured that, but is there a label or stamp on fireproof doors?

Yes. Usually on hinge end of door.

Scott Patterson
01-05-2008, 09:01 AM
The door needs to have a 20 min rating or be 1 3/8" in thickness if it is a solid core. You can have a solid wood door that is 1 3/8" thick and it will satisfy the requirement. Solid wood doors seldom have a ID sticker, stamp or label on them.

Jerry McCarthy
01-05-2008, 10:21 AM
2006 IRC - 309.1 Opening protection: Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than1-3/8 inches in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 1-3/8 inches thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.
(no label than can't confirm therefore report)

2006 IBC See 715.5 & 715,4,6,3,1 Fire protection Glazing. For those in California see 2007 CBC 715.5.

Jerry Peck
01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Does not need to be a fire rated door.

It could be ... or it could be (as pointed out by Jerry Mc. below) ...

solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8 inches in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 1-3/8 inches thick,

or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

Jerry Mc.,

I'm not fully understanding the below:

(no label than can't confirm therefore report)

You mean 'if not solid wood and not less than 1-3/8 inches and not a solid or honey comb steel door not less than 1-3/8 inches', right?

If not one of those, then it must be labeled (to be a fire rated door) or it is not a proper door (not fire rated, and not one of the approved options.

Scott,

A fire rated door CAN HAVE a window in it, albeit of limited size (I believe it is 100 sq inches, which is why you find 3" by 33" view glass in many fire rated doors).

A door with a window the size in the photo, I agree, with a window *like that* - not fire rated.

Also neither does it meet the other two options for doors.

Scott Patterson
01-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Scott,

A fire rated door CAN HAVE a window in it, albeit of limited size (I believe it is 100 sq inches, which is why you find 3" by 33" view glass in many fire rated doors).

A door with a window the size in the photo, I agree, with a window *like that* - not fire rated.

Also neither does it meet the other two options for doors.

That is true, but I have only seen that type of door in a commercial application and not in residental construction. But, then we are also seeing more and more commercial building products entering into the residental market.