PDA

View Full Version : Black marks on ceiling

Brian E Kelly
04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Just finished an inspection that I could not be for sure the answer I came up with is correct. Before I send out my report I wanted another opinion.
On all the ceiling along the outside walls, in every room, there was a black like stain that I figured was right under the roof trusses as they were the same width apart all over the house. I do know that the house needs a new roof with a total tear off as shingles were missing, curling, and had two layers on it so I think that the stain on the ceilings are from moisture penetrating the roof and soaking the trusses. The stain only comes out about 10-14" off the outside wall. I could not get a real good look in the attic as there was 12" of blown in insulation and a very small access space. I did manage to get my butt up as far as possible and found that the underside of several plywood sheets had "what appeared to be mold" with very little "mold" on the trusses. Am I in the right ball park?
This is a very young couple and they are not that worried about the other "mold" that I found in the basement. I tried not to over react but I did try to make my point that "mold" is not a good thing for the house much less their health. How is everyone else handling this issues with "mold". I was trained that I should not use the "mold" word as I am not a expert or a Lab to confirm that it is indeed "mold".

Jim Robinson
04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
If it was on the north side I would think you are correct that it was moisture from an ice dam. If I see what I think it mold, I just write that it looks like mold or fungus is present, etc.

Brian E Kelly
04-14-2007, 06:05 PM
The whole house has these marks, house faces west but most of marks are on west and east sides of house some on the north and south.

Bruce Breedlove
04-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Could be ghosting.

Richard Rushing
04-14-2007, 06:35 PM
I was thinking along the same line as Bruce-- 'ghosting'. There is the other question of mold in the attic. You have to be careful with calling the wood members as 'mold' as alot of times this will not be mold on framing members.

Rich

Tim Moreira
04-14-2007, 10:38 PM
I'll third the 'ghosting' theory.

Brian E Kelly
04-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I am not sure what you are refering to as "ghosting". Please expand on this.
Thanks

Richard Rushing
04-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Hello Brian,

Instead of beating around what this issue is, I'll provide you with a document that you can keep and reference for the future as back-up.

From the BuildingScience.com website, here is a document that will help clarify any questions that you may have regarding "ghosting"

Good reading... but you have to read it all-- that's the deal ;)

Richard

Mike Huppi
04-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Go look at the pics in interior section that I posted and see if thats what yours looks like on interior wall stains.

It sounds like the same.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/building-interior-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/72d1175658134-stains-interior-walls-stains-wall.jpg