PDA

View Full Version : fastening at ridge

Jerome W. Young
01-10-2008, 01:02 PM
It looks like the roofer forgot his drill and used a saw to make a hole for the a single 8d nail. what all is wrong with this senario so i am sure not to miss anything in my report! [needs 2 screws into a batten counter sunk and covered with caulk or mortar and gap mortared]
Thanks
Jerome

Jerry Peck
01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Jerome,

It is easier to say what is right with that installation at the ridge.

Now for what is wrong. :D

Mainly: Tiles installed improperly and no ridge caps, the inspector would be surprised if there are no leaks from this (and the only way to find out is to remove the tiles and tile underlayment, i.e., "replace it").

Jerry McCarthy
01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
A definate Darwin Candidate in the roof covering compitition. :eek:

Richard Rushing
01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
The short answer:

NO RIDGE CAPS!!

What the Heck were these folks thinnin????

I promise you this, If you don't note the lack of ridge caps and the need for roofing repairs... this is one that "WILL" bit-you eventually.:mad: :eek:

Rich

Jerome W. Young
01-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Interesting tid bit and it may give some of you a brain bleed. This particular development's architectural commity decided they did not like the look of ridge caps and so none of the houses have them. They all have mitered/butted edges, mortar, and steel screws at the ridges. The mortar is always loose, fasteners always exposed.

Jerry Peck
01-12-2008, 09:45 AM
This particular development's architectural commity decided they did not like the look of ridge caps

Can you say ... 'So, by the original developer's choice, all of the roofs were installed incorrectly, including this ... and that one and that other one ... and .... '? :D

Just be the original developer did not want ridges caps does not mean your client needs to accept an improperly installed roof. I'd have my client notify the board in writing that the tile roofs were installed improperly and, if the board see fit to NOT allow the roofs to be installed properly, that they, the board, becomes personally liable for all resulting roof leaks, damage, etc., so, please get out your check books ... if you intend to prevent the roof from being installed properly.

I've had clients do that and boards refuse; then the client's attorney sends a notice of future action to the board along with the boards position letter as evidence of cause for such action; the board's attorney then advises the board to shape up or get ready to write personal checks; the board then notifies my client (and ALL current owners) that installing the roof properly, including ridge caps, is now being allowed and that all replacement roofs and / or repairs should be done according to code.

It is amazing that when a board member realizes they will become *personally responsible* for their decisions like that, they will suddenly change their stance.