PDA

View Full Version : Guard openings

Sam Morris
11-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Does this deck guard opening meet building standards for a 2003 built home (still going to call it out as a safety issue) Thanks In Advance

Jeff Zehnder
11-29-2018, 05:25 AM
Like you stated I would list it as a safety issue but in my area it is a common practice.

Jerry Peck
11-29-2018, 06:47 AM
In 2003 most, if not all, codes had gone to not allowing a 4" sphere to pass through, as I recall.

Even if those were spaced 'just under 4" apart', I have never found any which could be tightened enough to nit spread out, allowing the 4" sphere to pass through.

Typically, you can use one hand, spread your fingers, and those spread apart. If you can do that with your hand, it is highly unlikely that it could resist a 50 pound pad load applied to it ... unless you have REALLY STRONG hands in spreading fingers apart (versus "grasping"). :D

Egbert Jager
12-04-2018, 03:19 PM
Here in Alberta, climb-ability is also a factor in not allowing those otherwise beautiful cable railings.

Jerry Peck
12-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Here in Alberta, climb-ability is also a factor in not allowing those otherwise beautiful cable railings.

The issue with a 'climbability' code is wording - does your say horizontal cables/rails, or how does it address that issue?

Keep in mind that chain link fence is 'climbable', and a 4" sphere can't pass through a chain link fence.

Marc M
12-28-2018, 12:40 AM
The issue with a 'climbability' code is wording - does your say horizontal cables/rails, or how does it address that issue?

Keep in mind that chain link fence is 'climbable', and a 4" sphere can't pass through a chain link fence.
We have "foot-hold" limitations here.

Jerry Peck
12-28-2018, 06:37 AM
We have "foot-hold" limitations here.

How does the code define 'foot-hold'?