PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to inspect 14 unit mobile home park

Sam Morris
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to efficiently inspect a 14 unit mobile home park. Time frame is 1 1/2 days to complete the inspections. I would welcome any suggestions. Thank You, SM

James Duffin
01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
If the lots are rented then all you should have to inspect is the service for each space. If you have to inspect each trailer then I would not do it unless they are new units or you are getting paid at least $300 per unit. JMO...

Jerry Peck
01-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to efficiently inspect a 14 unit mobile home park.

Sam,

What are you inspecting?

The units?

The park?

Both?

If the units, there are lots of questions to be asked about your liability - James alluded to that when he said "If you have to inspect each trailer then I would not do it unless they are new units", however, HIs *DO* inspect mobile homes, and *DO* inspect 'not new units'.

If the units, take them one at a time.

If the park, there are lots of questions to be asked about this:
- The electrical system?
- The pool (if there is a pool)?
- The roadways?
- The drainage system?
- ADA compliance for all common areas?
- the list could go on and on and on and ...

Trent Tarter
01-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Sam, I dont believe that I could inspect 14 mobile homes in 1-1/2 days. It would take me about 2 hours per unit assuming that they are single wides. However I am not saying that it can't be done.

Good Luck!

Matt Fellman
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
We've done a lot of multi-unit buildings over the years and it actually goes more quickly than you might think. Once you establish the similarities it's easy to get into a pattern.

Overall, organization is key. Make a good map and have a good system for keeping the units separate. Usually, their addresses or numbers is the most logical thing to do.

My biggest problem is staying focused as the time goes on. The repetition is unlike doing a standard house and it's easy to double inspect and area or, worse, miss an area. It's imperative that you go through each one in the exact same manner so you stay organized.

I've also found that the only part you need people to be with you for is the inside of the units. Hopefully, you have some access to the property to get a jump start for mapping and doing some exterior work. You can also always finish up the exteriors and grounds afterwards. One potential problem is if you catch something outside and want to get another peek inside.

Try not to let anyone drag you off course... there is always at least one tenant, usually more, that has some special circumstance and has to have their unit inspected at a certain time. The property managers and agents also have a tendancy to want to tell you how you're going to do things.

Establish who's in charge right up front or it's a nightmare. And I don't mean you have to be mean.... just explain that in order to do a good job you must have access when and where you need it.

Overall, big jobs like that are pretty good money and I've never had a callback on an apartment or multi-plex. The repetition is really the only downside.

Good luckk!

Scott Patterson
01-11-2008, 08:57 PM
First, I would be the one telling the prospective client how long it will take for the inspection. If you are dealing with occupied rental units, it will take some time. As others have said you need to find out what you are inspecting before you commit to anything.

Before I give a quote on any commercial or multifamily job I always drive by and see what I will be dealing with.

With 14 units you could have them done in two days with the help of another inspector. Then another few hours to write the report. Manufactured homes are not that hard to inspect, you just have to know what you are looking for and at.

I would estimate about 24 man hours to do the inspections and then about 3-4 hours to write the report. So I would base my bid on 28 hours of time.