PDA

View Full Version : split beam?

Ron Bishop
01-13-2008, 06:39 AM
I found this beam with a split in it. It is in one of the 4 attics of this 8600 sq.ft. home that I inspected yesterday. The split runs through the entire beam. I am not sure if I should call it out or not. Any suggestions?

Nick Ostrowski
01-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Picture?????

Ron Bishop
01-13-2008, 06:51 AM
woops...it's early out here

Erby Crofutt
01-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Must be real early. I don't see any beams in these pictures.

Ron Bishop
01-13-2008, 06:55 AM
double oops...maybe I should go back to bed!

Nick Ostrowski
01-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Ron, when I see splits like these that are fully supported across the length of the beam/joist, I don't call them as long as the split doesn't run to the top or bottom edge of the beam. However, if the split has resulted in some twisting or canting of the beam/joist, then I would.

I wouldn't hurt to just make some mention in your report of the condition you observed and include supporting pics.

Ron Bishop
01-13-2008, 08:55 AM
okay...thank you kindly

Harry Rezaei
11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I believe the correct term used for these small types of
cracks is 'Checking'. Checks are not as serious unless they go all the way through the joists/beams etc. In that case, it would be best noted as a 'Split'.

Raymond Wand
11-09-2008, 02:23 PM
In my opinion based on your photos' these are very typical checking cracks. It is caused by improper or quick drying of the wood. The wood dries from the outside first, and the wood was likely not rotated during the drying period in the kiln.

Eric Barker
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Ron,

You say that the cracks run through the the entire beam. Is that through the length or the width - it makes a big difference.

Richard Burkard
10-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Dear Ron;

If this home is in a high wind area or earthquake zone, this could be a problem. After Hurrican Andrew I saw a few beams supporting roof rafters with the bottom half still bolted to the steel clumn and the upper half of the beam and roof nowhere to be found. I noticed the anchor bolts are located below the check or split. This could be repaird quite easily with steel straps or sheeting on both sides.

John Kogel
10-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I found this beam with a split in it. It is in one of the 4 attics of this 8600 sq.ft. home that I inspected yesterday. The split runs through the entire beam. I am not sure if I should call it out or not. Any suggestions?It appears to be normal checking. Probably Douglas Fir from the Pacific Northwest or BC, which dried rapidly after the roof went on. There are still plenty of continuous fibers visible in the split sections, and it will take a tremendous force to split that beam down the middle. I would not even mention it.