View Full Version : anyoine know what this pump's function is exactly

Jerome W. Young
01-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I have only seen a few of these and never really looked into why they are present. No spa or water fall or anything other than supply jets were present at this pool.

Lee Nettnin
01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Hard to tell without seeing where the line goes, but maybe a pool water heater.

Jim Luttrall
01-15-2008, 04:44 PM
How about a pressure side pool cleaner pump?

Pressure Cleaners with Booster Pumps

In general, pressure cleaners, especially those with booster pumps provide the most complete pool cleaning. Most pressure cleaners can clean a pool operating 4-6 hours a day.

Dom D'Agostino
01-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Jim's got it, its a pressure side cleaner pump. Very common item.

Jerry Peck
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM

In addition to what it is called, you wrote up the lack of a bond wire and lack of fasteners anchoring it down - right?

Also, is that the bond wire going to a s.s. worm drive hose clamp on the *PLASTIC* fitting going into the filter?

I doubt that flexible hose is made for that use either.

Billy Stephens
01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
I doubt that flexible hose is made for that use either.

Mr. Peck,

They appear to be Fitted Hydraulic Hose.

Do they also need to be UV Rated?

Jerome W. Young
01-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks All,

I got the bond wire down but I did not report the fastners but i will. (how important are those?) . That wire has something to do with the solar heater I think (sensor wire). It was not a bond wire anyway. Not sure about the hoses, but the last 2 I have seenhad the same hose.


Jerry Peck
01-15-2008, 08:22 PM
I said: "I doubt that flexible hose is made for that use either."

They appear to be Fitted Hydraulic Hose.

Do they also need to be UV Rated?


I'm sure those hoses are UV rated.

What I should have said was (I've underline the two phrases I swapped around) "I doubt that use is made for flexible hose either."

Yes, those do look like fitted hydraulic hoses, but that pump looks like it should be connected with PVC ... that was my intent. Obviously I stated it backward.


I see the fitting that clamp is clamping to the pipe now, missed that before.

*ALL* equipment should be securely anchored down. If needed, iso pads (vibration isolation pads) are used between the equipment and the mounting pad/stand to cut down on vibration (which would not likely be needed there).

The filter should be secured down at its base - there are holes provided for that purpose.

As should the gas pool heater or heat pump (if present), the pool pump (shown in the bottom corner of the photo), etc.

william siegel
01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Every time that I mention that the motors need to be bolted down, I catch crap about it. A pool guy told me I was nuts. I guess i am, cause I keep writing it down.

Jerry Peck
01-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Jerome, Bill,

From the 2008 NEC (and this goes waaaayyy back). (underlining is mine)
- 110.13 Mounting and Cooling of Equipment.
- - (A) Mounting. Electrical equipment shall be firmly secured to the surface on which it is mounted. Wooden plugs driven into holes in masonry, concrete, plaster, or similar materials shall not be used.

Equipment. A general term, including material, fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.

Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.

An electric motor (such as an electric pump) is considered an "appliance".

Richard Rushing
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Actually, the pump shown does not (appear) to only run the polaris (as Jim posted a pic of). This particullar pump appears run both the DE filter and the sweeper-- without a booster pump.

Why would that let that sucker walk off like that?? Yikes...:confused:


Dom D'Agostino
01-16-2008, 11:04 PM

I don't think that's the case.

You can see the hose connecting from the pump's inlet to the Tee on the PVC pipe on the inlet side of the filter, and the booster pump's outlet is connected only to the small, single return pipe.


Jerry Peck
01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
... the DE filter ...

DE filter?

Looks like a cartridge filter housing to me? :confused:

Rick Hurst
01-17-2008, 07:08 AM
That cartridge is probably a in-line chlorine feeder. The motor looks to be as stated before as a motor for a pool sweep.

Not only should it be bolted down, it should not be in contact with the ground as so many are found to be.

I hope Jerome as others, if your inspecting pools you should get the education to know the equipment. Pool equipment is not cheap to replace if you get called out on something you missed.


Jerry Peck
01-17-2008, 08:23 AM

I am referring to this (see photo).

That cartridge you are referring to (the white one) looks like it is not connected to anything, possibly abandoned?

Rick Hurst
01-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Its possible. Just hard to tell anything with that limited of a photo.


Jerome W. Young
01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
the white tub is an add in chlorine feeder. it was connected. the other is a cartridge filter.
Thanks for the help.