PDA

View Full Version : Rusted I-beam

Chris Zarcone
01-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Wondering about the heavy rust, especially since the ends of the I-beam are embedded in the concrete walls. Does the same potential exist as in damage resulting from rusted lintel in brick veneer?
This I-beam & corrugated metal supports a corner of the garage slab. Home is located on bluff overlooking Long Island Sound & this area is exposed to the exterior. I'm under the impression it's been in place for approx. 20 years.
Any comments welcome.

Thanks

imported_John Smith
01-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Doesnt appear to be weathering steel like that used in bridges, so yes it is experiencing corrosion. It often looks much worse than it really is. The stuff imbedded in the concrete should be similar in corrosion rate to rebar in concrete. Typically not much metal loss. Usually the worst areas you will see are at the concrete to steel interface. If they look decent, the rest of the beam should be.

Jerry Peck
01-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I'd be more concerned with the metal decking above.

I've seen that used for many roofs and, in the condition shown in the photo, it is 'not good'. Now, though, consider that it "supports a corner of the garage slab" ... whoa! Vehicles will be driving on that, and they are not light!

That 'could have been' used 'only as' a form, however, it is more likely that it was used 'also as structural support' for the garage slab.

Billy Stephens
01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Wondering about the heavy rust, especially since the ends of the I-beam are embedded in the concrete walls. Does the same potential exist as in damage resulting from rusted lintel in brick veneer?
This I-beam & corrugated metal supports a corner of the garage slab. Home is located on bluff overlooking Long Island Sound & this area is exposed to the exterior. I'm under the impression it's been in place for approx. 20 years.
Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Chris,

Potential Yes, Probability Doubtful.

Note: Surface rust, monitor for cracks, Repair.

wayne soper
01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes the decking will deteriorate through before the beam does anything. Was there venting in the crawl? Which side of the sound are you on? I'm in Norwalk.

Chris Zarcone
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey Wayne, house is in Port Jefferson, Long Island. Other side of the wall is the backyard & is accessed by walking under the rear deck - wide open to the outdoors.