PDA

View Full Version : Antenna attachment to chimney prohibited?

Michael Thomas
01-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Is there an NEC or IRC or other prohibition against mounting an antenna or mast to a masonry chimney above it's highest support (such as passage through a roof or above the eaves) or is this Just Not A Good Idea?

And if prohibited, what's the exception that allows a lightning rod there?

Jerry Peck
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
From the 206 IRC.

- R1003.8 Additional load. Chimneys shall not support loads other than their own weight unless they are designed and constructed to support the additional load. Construction of masonry chimneys as part of the masonry walls or reinforced concrete walls of the building shall be permitted.

An antenna catches quite a bit of wind and will transfer that wind load to the chimney, so, while it is 'not a good idea', it could also be stated that 'it is not allowed' either.

A lightning rod, on the other hand, will transfer very little wind load to the chimney ... however ... I did not find the words 'except for very little loads' in there ... ;)

I guess it would come down to 'common sense' - if whatever is on / mounted to the chimney can cause some extra loading to the chimney and put it at risk ... 'not a good idea' and 'not allowed', but, if it is not going to place any load to speak of on the chimney, then ... you make the call. :D

Michael Thomas
01-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks. as always for the quick response.

Rick Hurst
01-21-2008, 04:54 PM
How about a basketball goal, Jerry?

You think the constant hurling of the ball against the chimney would be an issue.

They had also run conduit up the side for some lighting.

Tree limbs noted.

rick

Rick Maday
01-21-2008, 05:10 PM
How about a basketball goal, Jerry?

You think the constant hurling of the ball against the chimney would be an issue.

rick

Hope Daryl Dawkins doen't come to visit!
:D

Jerry McCarthy
01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Around these parts a TV antenna mounted anywhere on a roof is a sign of social ineptitude. One either has a dish or cable, PERIOD!
I understand that in Florida it’s against the state building code due to their attracting hurricanes? ;)

Rick Hurst
01-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Jerry,

Totally wireless would be great.

Even the satellite dishes can be an eyesore at times.

rick

Matt Fellman
01-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Jerry,

Totally wireless would be great.

Even the satellite dishes can be an eyesore at times.

rick

Around here I usually only see one dish per apartment complex.... and a bundle of 30 coax cables running from it.... I'm sure it's to cut down on the unsightliness of multiple dishes.

Jim Luttrall
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
My daughter is in apartment management and they totally prohibit satellite dish installation. I can see now from Ricks photos that it might not be a bad idea after all.

Bob Harper
01-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Nice zero clearance to the wood furring strips holding that basketball goal, too!
Bob

Matthew Barnicle
01-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Another practical reason: Wind causes the antenna to vibrate which makes the masonry chimney prone to deterioration.

Jeffrey L. Mathis
01-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Sorry,
I'm tooling through these posts and I am just amazed at how obtuse and beyond real some of you people can get. This is the most non-issue issue I've read here yet.
I'm amused and concerned at the same time.

JLMathis

Jerry Peck
01-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry,
I'm tooling through these posts and I am just amazed at how obtuse and beyond real some of you people can get. This is the most non-issue issue I've read here yet.
I'm amused and concerned at the same time.

JLMathis

Jeffery,

You've lost me.

"I'm amused and concerned at the same time." about what? Your not understanding the ramifications?

Eric Barker
01-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Now that it's mentioned, I think that I'm the only one in our neighborhood of 17 homes that has an antenna (it's on the chimney of course). And we've been on cable for several years!

Bob Harper
01-27-2008, 07:45 AM
I remove them all the time. Usually the bricks are loose so the top of the chimney needs to be rebuilt. The closer together the bands, the higher the leverage and usually more damage. Also, once the bands rust away and it falls over, those tines can pierce the roof deck causing leaks. They have been known to make lightning rod terminals without the ground....
Bob