PDA

View Full Version : shingle to peel n stick

Jerome W. Young
01-22-2008, 05:21 AM
any problems with this detal?

Rick Cantrell
01-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Without having more information, I can only be general.
Yes, in that situation, that is one method of doing it.
But there are problems with the way it was done.

Michael Thomas
01-22-2008, 07:19 AM
IMO the gutter discharge is clearly a problem. The shingles location on the modified bitumen membrane is almost certainly a problem, but the various roofs' slopes' apparent direction and pitch could be misleading in that picture.

Dom D'Agostino
01-22-2008, 08:49 AM
That's a very common (and poor) design around these parts, with many roof planes terminating at a small, low-sloped section. Difficult to cover, but more difficult for an inspector to see the details below the backwards-overlapping amd uncovered shingles.

Matt Fellman
01-22-2008, 10:42 AM
That would be my absolute last choice of material for the flat part... as others said, it's tough to see the whole install once it's done and from the picture.

Gunnar Alquist
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Jerome,

The flat section does not appear to be peel and stick to me. I would guess modified bitumen (as Michael said) or a cap sheet.

Scott Patterson
01-22-2008, 03:04 PM
As others have said that install is all wrong.

Don't forget that with a shingle the water needs to flow over and across the shingle from top to bottom. If the water is flowing from the side and across this can force water under the shingle and you will have leaks.

With a flat area like that I would like to see an EPDM type roof. I would like to see the valley more defined. That is just a poor design for a roof.