PDA

View Full Version : LP gas water heater vent iissue

mark petty
06-03-2019, 10:20 AM
LP gas water heater in exterior compartment; 4' and 6' away from windows, 1' away from air condenser, 4' below soffit vent, dryer vent at lower right with crawl space vents to the right further. I guesting not correct; should the vent be extended above the roof line. Thanks, Mark

Jerry Peck
06-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Unless the listing, labeling, and installation instructions say otherwise, my recollection is that the type B gas vent needs to terminate a minimum of 2 feet above a wall/obstruction within 8 feet.

Dom D'Agostino
06-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Is there actually a natural draft appliance in that enclosure?
Is it rated for exterior installation when installed in an approved cabinet?
Is the B-vent extending 5 feet above the draft hood?
And yes, the 2/10 rule applies due to the adjacent wall being within the 8 feet measurement.

Dom.

Jerry Peck
06-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Also, did you notice the concrete blocks under the condenser unit slab?

They are facing the wrong way and have no rated capacity with the cells horizontally like that - the face shells, webs, and ends are supposed to be vertical.

Fortunately, the risk of block failure is small under that condenser unit and its pad, but the risk is still there - I would include it in the report so you are advising your client that it needs to be corrected (not that it will likely ever be corrected, but at least you will be able to say "I put that in my report, you DID read the report and see that listed as a 'needs to be done item', right?"

mark petty
06-04-2019, 04:30 AM
Also, did you notice the concrete blocks under the condenser unit slab?

They are facing the wrong way and have no rated capacity with the cells horizontally like that - the face shells, webs, and ends are supposed to be vertical.

Fortunately, the risk of block failure is small under that condenser unit and its pad, but the risk is still there - I would include it in the report so you are advising your client that it needs to be corrected (not that it will likely ever be corrected, but at least you will be able to say "I put that in my report, you DID read the report and see that listed as a 'needs to be done item', right?"

Jerry, Dom thanks for help and no; I didn't notice the blocks. It will give the realtors more ammo for calling me nick picky (hate those two words).

Phil brody
06-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Jerry, Dom thanks for help and no; I didn't notice the blocks. It will give the realtors more ammo for calling me nick picky (hate those two words).
And the ability to service the condenser!

- - - Updated - - -

And the ability to service the condenser!

Larry Morrison
06-06-2019, 06:10 AM

Just from the first picture you can bet on two things; This house is going to have a very Long Report...And the fee for the inspection was not high enough....but we never know till we pull up on the job, do we. Too bad we can't charge by word and photo count on reports like the newspapers do when they publish their "Obituaries"....:shocked:

Jerry Peck
06-06-2019, 07:07 AM
... like the newspapers do when they publish their "Obituaries"....:shocked:

That reminded me of something some of us used to say:

We didn't kill the deal, we are just the medical examiner determing the cause of death.

Sometimes the base cause was assisted suicide, other times it was outright murder..

Egbert Jager
06-19-2019, 09:50 AM
We didn't kill the deal, we are just the medical examiner determ[in]ing the cause of death.

Sometimes the base cause was assisted suicide, other times it was outright murder..

THIS is now part of my lexicon.

Thanks!:D

Bob Harper
06-23-2019, 08:26 AM
For outdoor Aquahuts you can use a Field Controls Star-Kap as prescribed in the attachment if approved by your AHJ.
Enjoy!