PDA

View Full Version : Another new improper mitigation system

Paul Kondzich
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I thought I had heard it all about mitigators in this area. Well here is a new one, the charge was $1475 for the system (2 penetrations 1 fan.) This is a "Stage 1 " system, which does not guarantee anything, does not retest, nothing. The buyers have contacted me for another test (original result 17.6)
If the results are still high the company will come back and it will become a "Stage 2" mitigation (whatever that is) for an additional $1175. I am not sure if they will go by my results or they would retest. Anyway with that being said I went this morning to start the second test, and for some reason made it a point to grab the camera. I went around back and was surprised what I saw. This was the first system I have seen here that actually came from under the eave. The only problems were, it was not 10' off the ground. It was within 4' of an openable window. There is also a gable vent above it, I dont know the exact distance because the roof was an iced. So anyway the agent gets the mitigation guy on the phone, and he says I dont know anything, and home inspectors arent qualified to give opinions on mitigation systems. ( Even though I have taken the AARST & NEHA exams.) Oh well another day of dealing with idiots. Oh the best part was the fan wasnt working. It was plugged into a garage outlet. So I went out to look at the fan and its a low voltage motor, but was plugged into 120 V receptacle.

Lee Nettnin
01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
WOW!!!
What a POC job. Radon midigation exhaust is not allowed in a gutter pipe, and it is supposed to be labeled. Plus the problems you noted. This guy should be shot.

-Radon reduction systems must be clearly labeled.
-The exhaust pipe must vent above the surface of the roof and 10 feet or more abovr the ground, and at least 10 feet away from windows, doors, or other openings, if the exhaust pipe does not vent at least 2 feet above these openings.
-The exhaust fan must be NOT located in or below a livable area, yes a garage can be a livable area.
-A warning device must be installed to alert you if an active system stops working. I assume that was not done either because you said the fan was not working, and is probably burnt out now by plugging into 120volt.

Paul Kondzich
01-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Lee I wasnt aware that gutter pipe was prohibited. They are ALL that way here, there is even an adapter to make the 4" PVC transition to the gutter pipe nicely.

Lee Nettnin
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Paul,
My bad, I just looked it up and it is allowed outside only. I disagree with that however as it seems to me that the exhausted air will leak out of every joint in a downspout.

Michael P. O'Handley
03-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi,

That system wasn't installed by this guy (http://ehb.courtapps.com/corpus/04-27-2000.98199.html) was it? I hear he's living in Colorado now. I noticed him lecturing some folks on another board this morning about ethics of all things.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Scott Patterson
03-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Truth be known, even though it is not a correct installation I would be willing to bet that it has lowered the levels of radon in the home. Don't forget that radon dissipates easily.

Markus Keller
03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't know squat about radon mitigation but I think ray charles could tell that installation is wrong.

Paul Kondzich
03-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Scott, after I did 2 more radon tests, because of the way the house was layed out, hense the 2 perforations through the slab the average level was 1.6. Yes this is a huge improvement, normally I am not called to do the retest, or even see the mitigation system afterwards. In this case I was, and even though I put nothing in writing about the installation, I knew it was wrong, and the installer came back and fixed it. After he installed the extra 10' of pipe to make it correct, the line on the manometer went up by one line??? but was still within specs so dont let them tell you that that much extra exhaust pipe will decrease the efficiency by that much.

So even though the original install was probably fine I assumed we were here to call right from wrong???