PDA

View Full Version : bleeding below certainteed siding

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-20-2020, 05:57 PM
guys

Have not seen this before.2007 home with bleeding below siding--first photo is south facing and second is east facing protected from excess heat--anyone seen this before

thanks

cvf

Jerry Peck
02-20-2020, 06:06 PM
I remember others saying something about having seen it and tracing it down to what was used for the flashing, I think it was something with the applied flashing tape not withstanding the temperatures and the sealing membrane softening/liquefying and running down. Evidence that gravity wins.

Gunnar Alquist
02-20-2020, 06:57 PM
guys

Have not seen this before.2007 home with bleeding below siding--first photo is south facing and second is east facing protected from excess heat--anyone seen this before

CVF,

I am with Jerry on this. I seem to recall this occurring with some of the bitumen peel & stick window/door flashings. Might have been a defective material that started flowing when the weather warmed-up. I see it on occasion, and it's only at windows and doors.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-20-2020, 07:45 PM
thanks guys

cvf

Kimberly Cwynar
03-12-2020, 02:08 PM
Sorry that I'm late to the party on this one, as I just saw it. It might not necessarily be heat related. It could also be a material compatibility issue. If the window flashing and and sealant/caulk aren't compatible (or even two different kinds of window flashing), then it could cause a chemical reaction and cause the black goo to melt and drip like that.

Caren James
08-26-2020, 10:24 PM
Sorry that I'm late to the party on this one, as I just saw it. It might not necessarily be heat related. It could also be a material compatibility issue. If the window flashing and and sealant/caulk aren't compatible (or even two different kinds of window flashing), then it could cause a chemical reaction and cause the black goo to melt and drip like that.

I guess that's what they referred to - might be the material defect that caused this during warm weather.