PDA

View Full Version : Is PB the only Black line?

Reis Pearson
01-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I found this yesterday... 2005 home with a black service line. My understanding is that Polybutelene lines are susceptible to leakage and have been involved in litigation. Question is... is PB the only possibility and is my previous statement true?

Jerry Peck
01-26-2008, 09:13 AM
PB is typically gray (although I think they may have made service lines in blue - not sure). Black is typically ABS.

Reis Pearson
01-26-2008, 09:28 AM
This is a water service line, not waste. Is ABS used for service? I've never seen that? :confused:

Nolan Kienitz
01-26-2008, 09:48 AM
This is a water service line, not waste. Is ABS used for service? I've never seen that? :confused:

More information ... albeit for DWV usage.

ABS Products (http://www.ppfahome.org/abs/index.html)

Kevin Barre
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
My guess (and it's only that) is that the black service line is a form of polyethylene.

And, yes, they did make blue polybutylene service lines. They were used pretty extensively around here. The rocks tend to cut 'em up pretty badly, leading to leaks.

Jerry Peck
01-26-2008, 12:09 PM

2006 IRC, Table P2904.4, Water Service Pipe, does list ABS as suitable for use as "water service pipe", however, Table P2904.5, Water Distribution Pipe, does NOT list ABS as being allowed for "water distribution pipe".

Also: (bold and underlining are mine)
- P2904.4 Water service pipe. Water service pipe shall conform to NSF 61 and shall conform to one of the standards listed in Table P2904.4. Water service pipe or tubing, installed underground and outside of the structure, shall have a minimum working pressure rating of 160 pounds per square inch at 73°F (1103 kPa at 23°C). Where the water pressure exceeds 160 pounds per square inch (1103 kPa), piping material shall have a rated working pressure equal to or greater than the highest available pressure. Water service piping materials not third-party certified for water distribution shall terminate at or before the full open valve located at the entrance to the structure. Ductile iron water service piping shall be cement mortar lined in accordance with AWWA C104.

I.e., if the water service pipe is not also approved for water distribution pipe, it must terminate 'outside the structure' - and, if that is ABS in the photo, it does not.

Gunnar Alquist
01-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Seems to me unusual to find PB or polyethylene in a 2005 home. Is this a mobile?

Lou Collier
01-26-2008, 02:35 PM
All of the black water service entrance pipes around here are made of polyethylene. It is still being used on new houses.

The polybutylene water service entrance pipes are blue and the polybutylene water supply pipes in houses are gray.

ABS has never been used for water supply pipes in my area. It is only used for drain lines.

Jeffrey L. Mathis
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Folks, That's pipe insulation around an unknown pipe.

JLMathis

Reis Pearson
01-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks JLMathis... essentially what I wrote up. I expect (hope) that it's PE and no it wasn't a mobile... S/F SBL. Thanks again for all the input!

Gunnar Alquist
01-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Jeffrey,

If you look above the white coupling, you will see that the pipe insulation is pulled away and the black tubing/pipe can be seen.

Jerry Peck
01-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Folks, That's pipe insulation around an unknown pipe.

JLMathis

Jeffery,

This BLACK PIPE (see attached photo).