PDA

View Full Version : Open flue on this Janitrol Furnace

Sam Morris
03-24-2020, 01:35 PM
Need help determining the age of this furnace Surface Combustion Corp. (home was built in 1939) The flame on the burners didn't look that good either.The flue was open on one end, never seen this before 34685

Gunnar Alquist
03-24-2020, 02:53 PM
Need help determining the age of this furnace Surface Combustion Corp. (home was built in 1939) The flame on the burners didn't look that good either.The flue was open on one end, never seen this before 34685

Well Sam,

That gas vent pipe connection ain't right. You took that pic straight-on (horizontal), right? Rather than looking up into the draft hood? Looking at pics #4 & #5, it looks like #4 is essentially a close-up of #5. That setup will just spill combustion exhaust gases into the basement.

I can't say for sure about the age. If Janitrol follows the same pattern that some other companies do, the first number would be the month and the next two would be the year. So, I would guess 1954, but not sure. Someone may have a furnace age book. It looks like it would be from the '50s though.

Asbestos-wrapped ducting? Or no insulation at all?

Sam Morris
03-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Well Sam,

That gas vent pipe connection ain't right. You took that pic straight-on (horizontal), right? Rather than looking up into the draft hood? Looking at pics #4 & #5, it looks like #4 is essentially a close-up of #5. That setup will just spill combustion exhaust gases into the basement.

I can't say for sure about the age. If Janitrol follows the same pattern that some other companies do, the first number would be the month and the next two would be the year. So, I would guess 1954, but not sure. Someone may have a furnace age book. It looks like it would be from the '50s though.

Asbestos-wrapped ducting? Or no insulation at all?
yes , you are correct, that's a straight on picture, that's exactly what I thought about the flue. Yes I got the asbestos