PDA

View Full Version : GFCI Receptacles and Breakers

John A Duncan
04-14-2020, 10:53 AM
Ran into something I have not seen before when it comes to GFCI protected receptacles. There was a GFCI receptacle in the garage that was connected to a couple of other outlets. When I tested the GFCI it trips from all receptacles. Come to find out later, when I was going through the electrical panel, the GFCI receptacle in the garage was connected to a GFCI breaker. The breaker never trips when testing the receptacles, but did trip when I pressed the test button. My question is can you have a GFCI protected receptacle connected to a GFCI breaker. Thanks in advance.

Speedy Petey
04-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Yes, you can. It is redundant, and not at all necessary, but it is not deficient in any way.

As long as everything trips via the test button you are fine. A GFI will not usually trip without the presence of a grounding conductor so a plug-in tester is not always an accurate test in older homes.

John A Duncan
04-14-2020, 04:24 PM
Yes, you can. It is redundant, and not at all necessary, but it is not deficient in any way.

As long as everything trips via the test button you are fine. A GFI will not usually trip without the presence of a grounding conductor so a plug-in tester is not always an accurate test in older homes.

Thanks Speedy. Good to know.