PDA

View Full Version : black flex gas line

dan orourke
04-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Kevin VanderWarf
04-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I think I have seen black used, I think thats OK.

The picture looks a little odd though, it looks like either it was taken from a funny angle or that supply line is smaller than 1/2".

Jerry Peck
04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
There's no sediment trap there and it is required.

Kevin VanderWarf
04-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Your right Jerry, I was thrown by the pipe size and didn't notice the lack of a drip leg.

Doesn't that pipe look small or is it just the angle?

Joseph P. Hagarty
04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Flex line also appears to be passing unprotected thru the Furnace Cabinet.

Bob Harper
04-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Both Brass Craft and Dormont now have flexible appliance connectors available in black as well as yellow. I was told I was the one who convinced them to offer black for use in fireplaces with gas logs.

These connectors were not intended to be exposed like this. They can be behind a dryer, under a range top, inside a fireplace, etc. but having it loose where someone could snag it is not cool.

Yes, need sediment trap

Yes, cannot pass through cabinet

Cannot tell if there is pipe dope on the flare fitting. If so, flag it.

Could be undersized. Most mfrs. offer a simple sizing guide based upon input BTU rating and length. The capacity drops off rather quickly as these connectors get longer.

Ron Tate
04-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I've been sitting here for about 30 minutes trying to think of what I wanted to say. I don't remember running into any of the black pipe before but if it is rated as gas pipe for appliance installation then it should be okay. As far as getting snagged not likely in most installations. Of course there is always the exception.

As for sediment traps, I agree they should be installed. BUT.... in this State you won't find any unless it is on installations of at least 20 years or more. You can call them out until you are blue in the face and they won't get installed.

Flex line passing through the cabinet acceptable. I've been down this road already and ran into a brick wall. I called some of these out as an incorrect installation on a few inspections. Plumbers were sent out and I was told later that nothing was wrong with the installation. It was time to contact the State plumbing inspector to find out why the installation was okay. He told me that the only thing required for the use of flex pipe was that the opening in the cabinet had to have a rubber grommet installed around the opening or insulation, the type used for the A/C suction line, could be installed around the gas line where it passes through the cabinet. He also said that some of the manufacturers were sending flex piping out with the unit for installation.

May not be the same where you are.

John Arnold
04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
"BUT.... in this State..."

What State are you in, Ron? And, welcome to the board!

Bob Harper
04-16-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.dormont.com/dmc/uploadedFiles/res/ResourceCenter/RES_instructions.pdf

I have spoken with Mike Angus, chief engineer for Dormont in person and at length. There are two primary hazards with running a flexible appliance connector through metal cabinets: corrosion and physical damage from movement. Installing a grommet obviously mitigates both of these conditions. However, after the first service on that unit, it is doubtful any grommet would remain in place. Also, the iron pipe needs to be well secured. I see it all the time where a flex connector makes that last 18" from the vertical drop to the appliance valve but the pipe is swinging like a bell clapper. You get into trouble when there is a big loop of flex hanging out to get tangled up with someone or some thing.

While on the Dormont site, you'll find a tab for their residential connectors. If you click on it, you'll see their black Low Visibility LV technology coatings.

Ron, welcome! As for sediment traps. I advise never give up. It is clearly in the codes whether a local practice or not. Should someone go Pooof!, you Will be called in. Better to quote the code and let the other guy drop the ball. FYI, sediment traps do help. They are not a guarantee but you never want to be caught without one.
HTH,

Thom Walker
04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have a picture of a properly installed sediment trap?

Ron Tate
04-18-2007, 05:16 AM
The great State of Arkansas, John.

Thanks for the welcome. I am honored to be a part of this group. I have been reading and listening to you guys for about three years. I just decided to put my two cents worth in on something I have run into. You may be ablt to get the flex pipe changed in your area but it won't happen here. The best we can hope for is the grommet or insulation to protect the pipe from rubbing against the cabinet.

Jerry Peck
04-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Does anyone have a picture of a properly installed sediment trap?

Wow, I was just going to post the photos and I got back a message that I had to have at least 5 characters in the message, so here goes ...

Groucho Marx
Charlie Chaplin
Buster Keaton
Stan Laurel
Oliver Hardy

:D

John Arnold
04-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Wow, I was just going to post the photos and I got back a message that I had to have at least 5 characters in the message, so here goes ...

Groucho Marx
Charlie Chaplin
Buster Keaton
Stan Laurel
Oliver Hardy

:D

ha ha h