PDA

View Full Version : New Construction

Sam Morris
10-31-2022, 03:06 PM
Has anyone seen anything like this before on new construction. Its there suppose to be step flashing here on the sidewall ?

Gunnar Alquist
10-31-2022, 07:28 PM
Sam,

Sure looks like it should have step flashing. Did you try to lift the shingles along that intersecting wall to see if they were covered by the shingles?

If that is stone veneer, I believe the manufacturer's installation instructions require a gap/void between the bottom edge of the veneer and the roof shingles. It would be necessary to refer to the manufacturer's documentation.

Jim Robinson
11-01-2022, 03:35 PM
I would also expect the manufacturer to require a gap between the shingles and the brick veneer. That joint is going to blow apart over the next few winters, most likely.

Markus Keller
11-30-2022, 10:59 AM
Wow, that's really pathetic as an install.
The mortar is going to crumble out from winter and typical movement. After that who knows how quick it will leak. If they did that would they reasonably put proper flashing from the shingles to the wall? Possible but unlikely.
Another question would be about drainage plane specifications for that veneer wall.
I don't know what its like for you guys but around here NC is often worse than existing housing stock. Often it's a toss up between which is worse. The average flipper fluff & buff or a new construction douche box build